Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
eta thank you again for your support. I was beginning to think I was living in some kind of illusory mental state brought about as an early symptom of Alzheimer's. Note to oldsters contemplating the switch from Bill to Mac:

Incidentally in sheer frustration I acquired a book entitled "Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard" hoping to find something about the acquisition of personal taskbar editing macros in Entourage; but surprise, "Macros" didn't even appear in the index. Or maybe Mac calls it something else. So I intend to slog my way through this volume til I know as much about Mac as I did about windows, not really all that much. I expect it will take a while but I just recently learned that at age 78 I can expect to love another 20 years; so I expect just as I reach that plateau that one evening I will doze off waking up next morning dead

dalehileman
dalehileman #180326 11/15/08 03:22 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
well, dale, a bit of research has paid off. you CAN drag-and-drop in Safari. the trick is, once you have double-clicked, or drag-selected the words you want to move, to hold on the word a bit longer than one would think was necessary. so, once the word/words are highlighted, click-hold for a count of two before you try to drag.

give it a try!

(I will be the first to admit that I think this is a bit wonky.)

formerly known as etaoin...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Long's we're admitting stuff I'll admit that my dispreference for Macs is based on an early ('80s) experience. I was all alone at work and tried to boot up our, what was it? Apple II? All I got was a little anarchist's bomb. No explanation, not even a geek-friendly Error a7ec97d0 @ ff00deadbeef. Just the little anarchist's bomb. When someone who knew what was going on came back from lunch I found that I had a non-boot disk in the floppy drive. Of course the Mac didn't have any little button to push to get the floppy disc out, you would click on some icon on the screen and choose Eject from the drop down menu. At least that's what you would do if the system had booted up properly. Failing a proper boot, to get the floppy to eject you had to hold down AppleFlower-shift-ctrl-M-F3 or something like that while simultaneously powering up the machine. Never mind that I didn't have any hands left to power up the machine with after all three and both feet were tied up holding down all those keys. In the words of the Wise Woman of Wasilla, thanks, but no thanks.

Faldage #180328 11/15/08 01:04 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
heh

it ain't quite like that now, though there are still some funky key commands!

formerly known as etaoin...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Wull ... For one thing, you don't need a boot floppy disc in the drive to boot up any more. This was back in the paleolithic. It's just hard to overcome these early traumas. And it's not like Mac is the only way to avoid the Evil Empire. In fact you can go Mac and still be in bed with Darth Gates.

Faldage #180330 11/15/08 04:07 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
AppleFlower-shift-ctrl-M-F3

Hmm. And, Ctrl-Alt-Delete, like the language gene, is hard-wired into human DNA. Snork! My favorite non-obvious, arcane, computational ritual has to be getting a Unix machine (Sun) to recognize a CD-ROM that had been inserted. (Let's not even imagine how to eject it once you want to.) I have fortunately forgotten it, but the first time you did, required root privileges, editing the /etc/fstab file, and restarting the NFS daemon. I had to RTFM for that one.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
zmjezhd #180332 11/15/08 04:28 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
eta thank you fr that hint and I will try it; though I agree it's kooky as hell

However, returning to my original post I am wondering if anyone misses their personal taskbar editing macros in Entourage as I find it had to believe that anyone doing a substantial amount of writing wouldn't raise hell about having to revert to the keyboard

dalehileman
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,344
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 782 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,546
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith