About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: The Pook

Hey I've been to Te Anau. And once knew someone from Te Awamutu. Is that what it means in place names? The definite article? Or does it mean something like 'place' or 'village'?

Te Awamutu means 'The(Te) river(Awa) end(mutu)'. Those famous Aussie brothers, Neil and Tim Finn were born there. wink

Originally Posted By: The Pook

The best marketer, not the best product, will win every time.

Reminds me of the great Betamax/VHS war of the Seventies. Betacam, BetacamSP, and BetacamSX all later variants of Betamax became broadcast standards here for many years. Superseded now by Digital Betacam and various non linear formats.
Blu Ray/HD-DVD was another case where superior marketing won the day.

Originally Posted By: latishya

So "te kiwi" is "the kiwi" and "nga kiwi" is "the kiwis".

Very good Latishya. smile

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted By: olly

Blu Ray/HD-DVD was another case where superior marketing won the day.

Most tech reviews I've read agree, but the overwhelming majority of them also say that Blu-Ray is a technically better product than HD-DVD as well, unlike the Beta/VHS thing. I've kept an informal tally of the scores of articles and reviews I read on the subject, and somewhere around 80% say that Blu-Ray won by virtue of its marketing but also say that it was the better product too.

D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
I started with the comment, Latishya what an excellent name. Then out of curiosity I clicked on the happyface but nothing happened so I tried the link, where the profile was essentially blank. Disappointed, I returned to page 3 of the thread, where my comment had been deleted

Not to belabor the discussion but we seem to have wandered from the point, which asked whether any others might be as disappointed with Mac and the rest of the Digital World as I

dalehileman
addict
addict
Well 'your' television ads are funny, even while neglecting an important point: XP can still be had. Define you a machine by its operating system, hrm?

ÅΓª╥┐↕§
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Originally Posted By: Aramis
Well 'your' television ads are funny, even while neglecting an important point: XP can still be had. Define you a machine by its operating system, hrm?

Why thank you Aramis Essentially the Blogosphere is divided into two camps, those who are amused by the whole thing and them who are angry about nearly everything; somewhat akin to left and the right of politics except possibly for the Libertarians who are schizophrenic. Clearly you are a a member of the first which is manifestly in the minority but should be encouraged to multiply lest we dissolve in a quagmire of recrimination

Your important point is well taken but there's no way I could return to XP since my IT No. 1 Son would then refuse to help me when I encounter a problem

As for defining a machine in terms of its software, yes I'm sure to some extent it does but I can't explain how; that's the wherewithal of my No. 1 Son and I'd ask him to expand upon the point but he's so sick of my problems that he doesn't much respond to my emails any more

... perhaps because I am excessively prolix

Thanks again, and in that connection please ask me about the Truman Show currently having surfaced on Basic Satellite, while I am dalehileman@verizon.net

dalehileman
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,343
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 757 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,546
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith