Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
eta, seems that way to me too, leaving me with a distinctly uncomfortable feeling about the denizens of software. I get the distinct impression that they're a very isolated group who don't communicate much with ordinary folk like you and I...

...though I sense that you may be extraordinary in certain critical ways

As if to punctuate my observation, they have underlined "though" in the above paragraph even though its spelling is apparently OK. Mac habits such as that one are very distracting

dalehileman
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
the thing to remember is how you felt when you first started working with computers. they were pretty arcane then, too, and did things in unexpected ways. you are learning an entirely new operating system, and there will be many things that don't work the way you expect them to, and many things you didn't even know you could do. it is an adventure, and best treated that way!

:¬ )

I love my mac, and express endless frustration when I need to use a windows machine, but I know many people who are equally comfortable in that world. for me, my mac is part of my life, and a windows computer is just a machine.

(yes, I drink heavily of the kool-aid!)

formerly known as etaoin...
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
eta what a remarkably even-tempered fellow are you in this ferment of communal denunciation called the Blogosphere. I am incidentally dalehileman@verizon.net any time you feel the urge to exchange horror stories

It is also interesting to note, incidentally, that Mac apparently doesn't recognize an email address since mine above wasn't flagged in te usual way I had come to expect but then I've been accused of being excessively critical

...while I can't say whether Bill's spellcheck is any more competent but it is appalling to note that Mac didn't recognize "te" above as a possible misspelling for "the"

Some of us gain the impression that the software engineers hate us all. However, we might be wrong, that instead the problem lies in the construction and circuitry of the kind of brain required for that kind of work (present company of course excepted). I imagine they’re deficient in the area which might otherwise serve everyday needs of Man, that even for what we would consider the smallest, most insignificant decision they require a committee meeting

On the morning they discussed the spelling algorithm they argued for hours about the criterion required to select suggested corrections. Finally they took a vote on a compromise rule where a missing letter might be selected on the basis of its keyboard location; that it might qualify if it appeared on the same row or adjacent to one of the correct letters. However, "the" would be rejected because the "h" is both on a different row and one key removed from adjacency

Mac was pretty sure however that "te" might be the misspelling of "et"

dalehileman
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The correct misspelling of "the" is "teh".

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
meh

formerly known as etaoin...
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted By: dalehileman
it is appalling to note that Mac didn't recognize "te" above as a possible misspelling for "the"

I think where Olly lives "te" actually DOES mean "the".

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: latishya

Beat me to it.
Yep, mostly it is a definite article, in some instances. 'Te' can also be a relative pronoun or a particle to be used for emphasis.

But I was also thinking that once a strange word has been added to a dictionary in say, microsoft word, it never appears as a foreign spelling again. Perhaps the application that Dale is using only has a 'spellcheck' and not a 'grammar' suggestee thing. In which case 'Te' or 'teh' are other words. Hey, whatever Dale is using, it ain't a HAL 9000.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Beat me to it.
Yep, mostly it is a definite article, in some instances.
'Te' can also be a relative pronoun or a particle to be used for emphasis.

'te' has developped to 'too' in this little world, which means emphasis indeed -------- te veel = too many.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: olly

Beat me to it.
Yep, mostly it is a definite article, in some instances. 'Te' can also be a relative pronoun or a particle to be used for emphasis.

Hey I've been to Te Anau. And once knew someone from Te Awamutu. Is that what it means in place names? The definite article? Or does it mean something like 'place' or 'village'?

Quote:
Hey, whatever Dale is using, it ain't a HAL 9000.

No, that was the Commodore Amiga. Best computer ever made. Well, okay not quite as smart as HAL, but it was multitasking in colour with WYSIWYG windows and a mouse when the Apple was monochrome and IBMs were running DOS with just a keyboard. What a pity Commodore was run (into the ground) by Mehdi Ali and Microsoft by Bill Gates, and not the other way round. The best marketer, not the best product, will win every time. Twelve years after its demise I'm still mourning. frown

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted By: The Pook
Originally Posted By: olly

Beat me to it.

Hey I've been to Te Anau. And once knew someone from Te Awamutu. Is that what it means in place names? The definite article? Or does it mean something like 'place' or 'village'?

A friend once told me that "te" is the singular definite article in NZ Maori and "nga" is the plural definite article. So "te kiwi" is "the kiwi" and "nga kiwi" is "the kiwis". I don't know anything at all about the other Maori though.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,344
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 782 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,546
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith