Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Speaking of illusory states incidentally, and while it doesn't bear on the editing of posts as in an earlier thread; I wonder how many of us having switched from Bill to Mac are are experiencing other peculiarities that defy reason and which might eventually detract a whole lot from the latter's reputation

For instance, whilst composing say an email, you happen to be sweeping the cursor around the screen, looking or a word etc, without even clicking; for no apparent reason your document disappears and is replaced by another screen uncalled for and blank though usually it's a window entitled "Entourage Help Home."

Of course you can quickly click it away away by its red dot, restoring whatever you were doing; but my God what an interruption. Am I the only Mac user who encounters annoying glitches such as these

Why am I the only apparent victim
Why don't other Mac users speak up

dalehileman
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
it would be the same for me if I were to start using Windows. (ask my girlfriend how I do when I use her computer)

dale, you are getting used to a new system, with new ways of doing things, give yourself, and the mac a chance.

formerly known as etaoin...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
think about trying to drive a manual transmission in a car, if you had never driven anything but an automatic.

(actually, for me the comparison is quite apt, as I find driving a stick, and my mac, much more fun!)

ymmv.

:¬ )

D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
eta, there's more than a grain of truth in what you say and your post is comforting but Mac had been touted by many as vastly superior, while at my age it's hard to put up with a whole new set of glitches

Maybe I expect too much. Nonetheless I am gratified by your reassurance

For instance, incidentally, Mac flags misspellings in posts of this sort and provides instant access to other such services like Dictionary, Spelling and Grammar, etc; but having gone to that much trouble why didn't they also provide Synonyms. It's as if your new car had a gas pedal, clutch, and accelerator, but no brake

Your comparison incidentally is apt, while in addition the manual is more reliable (between us Laverne and I have so far spent $10,400 in replacement and repair of our two Blazer automatics. On the other hand, however, Mac seems to require two to five times as many keystrokes to perform any task

No reply necessary; and again your calm, considered reflections constitute a welcome contrast in this world of vast complexity and cross-program interlocking contradictory glitches brimming with mutual recrimination

dalehileman
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
One big problem I always had with Macs is that a window is never in full screen mode. Sure, there's a guy up there in the upper right corner that claims to make the window full screen but in reality it doesn't quite do it. The result is that I can be going to slide the vertical scroll bar to get the window to go up or down and I miss by just the least little bit and click on the window behind the one I'm working with and suddenly there's a whole new window that I don't really want. It's annoying at best.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: Faldage
One big problem I always had with Macs is that a window is never in full screen mode. Sure, there's a guy up there in the upper right corner that claims to make the window full screen but in reality it doesn't quite do it. The result is that I can be going to slide the vertical scroll bar to get the window to go up or down and I miss by just the least little bit and click on the window behind the one I'm working with and suddenly there's a whole new window that I don't really want. It's annoying at best.

I agree with that sentiment, Fald. bugs me, too.

D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Me too. Even my IT No. 1 Son is annoyed by that deficiency, and he's not nearly as demanding as I. Sizing sequence clicking green dot should include one full screen

dalehileman
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Windoz has various functions for making the current window *really full screen; i.e., hiding the tool bars (F11 key in the browser, Full Screen view in Word) -- does Mac have anything similar?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
not that I know of. I'm sure there are some third-party things that can do it.

not sure why it's not built-in. seems like a no-brainer to me.

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
The green button is a toggle-switch with two positions. One setting is "full screen" (which seems to mean one 8 1/2 by 11 page, no matter how much bigger your monitor might be) and the other is "whatever you had before you hit the green button." Which means if you manually stretch the window to fill the screen you can go back and forth from fullscreen to smaller.

Not quite ideal, but getting a little closer to what you're asking for.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,342
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 491 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,546
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,917
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith