Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#180173 11/09/08 08:31 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Admin: This post not directly language or words so feel free to relegate it to the appropriate forum if needbe

Well I finally caved in and ditched my PC for a Mac. My first impression: Mac is of course immune to viruses, while in some applications execution time is indeed faster. However, more keystrokes seem to be required for almost any task

For example, in the PC all personal taskbar editing macros in Word (that is, ones you add yourself such as Delete word, Change case, Spacebar, Backspace, Return, etc etc etc) are transferred automatically to Outlook for use editing email and the like. However, in Mac only the standard set (BIUT, align left, center, etc) are available in Entourage (Mac's version of Outlook)

Thus for the typical clod (me) editing a lengthy email in Entourage requires at least twice if not five times as many keystrokes with of course continual resort to the keyboard; whereas using Outlook you could lean back, doing much of the editing using your mouse with a single click

Of course you can always write all your letters in Word, then send or cut-paste them to Entourage. But this process excessively complicates the process as often it would be necessary to shift a draft back and forth between the two programs

I am sure there's a way to transfer those personal macros from Word to Entourage but it's no doubt a comparatively involved process and even my highly-remunerated aerospace IT offspring is unable to do it. Thus all comments appreciated, especially helpful ones--thanks most kindly

dalehileman
dalehileman #180174 11/09/08 09:17 PM
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted By: dalehileman
My first impression: Mac is of course immune to viruses,

I hope for your sake that you don't really believe that. There are a lot less viruses and other malware written for Mac OSes, mostly becausre the potential target base is so muxh smaller. As the number of Macs grows, so does the amount of malware written for it. There are some nasties out there just for Macs, and if you do trust in Mac's "immunity" you will be disappointed.

dalehileman #180175 11/09/08 09:25 PM
old hand
old hand
Hi Dale, try this Macdisk I do suspect however that you will soon be directing your derived angst from one bespectacled billionaire to another. smile

latishya #180187 11/10/08 02:23 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: latishya
Originally Posted By: dalehileman
My first impression: Mac is of course immune to viruses,

I hope for your sake that you don't really believe that. There are a lot less viruses and other malware written for Mac OSes, mostly becausre the potential target base is so muxh smaller. As the number of Macs grows, so does the amount of malware written for it. There are some nasties out there just for Macs, and if you do trust in Mac's "immunity" you will be disappointed.

immune, no, but much more resistant, yes. the underlying architecture of the Mac OS is much less vulnerable to attacks and malware than Windows.

that is not to say that macs never have problems, of course not.

I don't use Entourage dale, so I'm no help there, but I find Mail to be a very good program. there are other possible solutions to your macro hopes. check over at www.versiontracker.com

amd welcome to the club!

formerly known as etaoin...
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
olly thank you kindly for that link. I would ensconce it amongst my Faves but in Mac I haven't yet learned how

Lat: Thank you for that warning. However I am assured that so long as you don't open suspicious files, especially attachments, that as eta says, Mac is extremely resistant to viruses and the like

eta, once more thank you for your welcome as well as your input. My very helpful, highly remunerated and competent aerospace IT No. 1 Son was unable to successfully install Mail and so I have to use Entourage, which as you must know is mac's version of Outlook

Incidentallly for every advantage of Mac there seems to be a drawback. For example, Entourage gives me an instant spellcheck in posts such as this one where Outlook didn't. However, Mac falls down in the editing department. For instance I find I am unable to highlight then drag a word or phrase and instead have to laboriously cut-and-paste

Thank you too for that link which I will pass along to my No. 1 Son in the hope that he might be able to use it somehow to transfer my taskbar macros from Word

Admin thank you for leaving this thread where it is and will therefore get more attention than if you dropped it into one of the more obscure forums

dalehileman
dalehileman #180206 11/10/08 06:33 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Mail is already installed in every new mac, you just need to set up your mail accounts. I have POP, IMAP, and gmail etc., accounts in my Mail. works great. but I know of others that prefer Entourage, so, ymmv.

what does Entourage have to do with posting at AWAD? and my posts get spellchecked as I type. I can also do highlight and drag, even in the Quick Reply box that I'm using right now.

give yourself some time to learn the ins-and-outs of a new system. your are to be commended for doing so!

D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
"what does Entourage have to do with posting at AWAD?"

I presume it's Entourage that prevents me from highlight-drag in AWAD

" ...and my posts get spellchecked as I type."

So do mine, which is a distinct improvement using Mac over Bill

"I can also do highlight and drag, even in the Quick Reply box that I'm using right now."

That's probably because you're using Mail not Entourage, the latter surviving from Bill's domain and probably distinctly inferior in many ways

"...give yourself some time to learn the ins-and-outs of a new system. your are to be commended for doing so!"

Why thank you eta; it's rare to get a sincere complement in this iniquitous den of sidebar adversary and hotbed of mutual recrimination. Even my technically trained No. 1 Son, God love him, drags me over the coals for my near-senile inability to cope with the New World

...while my No. 2 Son, bless his soul, understands my confusion because he feels about the Digital Realm much as I do in my near-senility

dalehileman
dalehileman #180223 11/11/08 06:23 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
you're welcome, dale! and happy birthday? I see a little birthday cake near your name!

I use a browser such as Safari (I use Camino) to view AWAD, not a mail program like Entourage or Mail. actually, I'm not sure how you would use a mail program to access AWAD.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
eta, are you and daleh both referring to Wordsmith Talk when you refer to AWAD?

-ron o.

tsuwm #180231 11/11/08 07:23 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: tsuwm
eta, are you and daleh both referring to Wordsmith Talk when you refer to AWAD?

-ron o.

good question, t. yes, I am referring to this site.

from dale's penultimate post:
Quote:
For example, Entourage gives me an instant spellcheck in posts such as this one where Outlook didn't.
(emphasis mine)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,343
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 767 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,546
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith