Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
L
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
L
In another forum someone said of Obama's acceptance speech: "And Mr. Eloquence and Inspirational Orator made one of the most common and egregious errors in his vocabulary!"

I have read the transcript and am wondering what this egregious error could be. Anybody?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Probably his use of the word enormity, but, if by egregious, the complainer means 'out of the herd' that's probably just as questionable. The use of enormity to mean 'enormousness' or 'immensity', while rejected by some, is fairly common.

old hand
old hand
I want to see the volumes this person has had to have written about Bush...

M
addict
addict
M
"Errors in his vocabulary" doesn't strike me as a correct use of "vocabulary".

If I read the wrong book, are there errors in my library?

L
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted By: twosleepy

The person who made the comment voted for Obama. I omitted that because my question was just about language not politics.

L
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted By: Faldage
Probably his use of the word enormity, but, if by egregious, the complainer means 'out of the herd' that's probably just as questionable. The use of enormity to mean 'enormousness' or 'immensity', while rejected by some, is fairly common.

Thanks Faldage I missed that. Interesting to see the OED say
Quote:
Excess in magnitude; hugeness, vastness. Obs.; recent examples might perh. be found, but the use is now regarded as incorrect.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: latishya

The person who made the comment voted for Obama. I omitted that because my question was just about language not politics.

My post had no political intent or connotation, and for whom s/he voted doesn't matter to me. I was referring to the fact that Bush is infamous for his self-contradiction and extremely poor command of the English language, about which volumes actually have been written.

L
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted By: latishya

My post had no political intent or connotation, and for whom s/he voted doesn't matter to me. I was referring to the fact that Bush is infamous for his self-contradiction and extremely poor command of the English language, about which volumes actually have been written.

Yes i think thats why the person I quoted made the comment. To them Obamas "gaffe" was notable because of his reputation for oratory and mastery of English, two things of which Bush would never be accused.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Excess in magnitude; hugeness, vastness. Obs.

Yes, the normative grammarians want it both ways: e.g., decimate etymological and nearly extinct meaning, but enormity's newer one. (That is the Other is always wrong, grammatically speaking.)

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
addict
addict
A. thought "green behind the ears" in one of those debates sounded pretty goofy. sick

Are any points deducted for lying or does only vocabulary count?

ÅΓª╥┐↕§
old hand
old hand
Ruh roh, somwon's getting powitical..

And who said "green behind the ears"? That's pretty funny...

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
And who said "green behind the ears"?

The POTUS-elect (link).

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Read all the comments in Nuncle Z's link.

G
G
MDWEU: "We have seen that there is no clear basis for the 'rule' at all. We suggest that you follow the writers rather than the critics: writers use enormity with a richness and subtlety that the critics have failed to take account of. The stigmatized sense is entirely standard and has been for more than a century and a half."

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Nemmine enormity. The important thing is how does he pronounce NUCULAR?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Regarding enormity, this analysis from Language Log may be of some interest to the Defenders of the Language Against All Things Evil.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
And who said "green behind the ears"?

The POTUS-elect (link).

Nice acronym. I like the sound of POTUS to describe a political figure. It's kind of like a cross between BOGUS and POTATO.

"The POTUS today said that anyone who is green behind the ears should..." [complete the sentence]

old hand
old hand
Regarding enormity, this analysis from Language Log may be of some interest to the Defenders of the Language Against All Things Evil.

There's a language that is against all things evil?? Must be the language of heaven huh? grin

old hand
old hand
The POTUS article is interesting, and had me thinking about a couple of things:

greenhorn as the origin of "green". In checking this out, the etymology I found is Olde English, and referring to newly slaughtered animals. If anyone can clear that up a bit more for me, I'd appreciate it because it's not clicking in my brain...

The idea of "idiom blend", I suppose related to the mixed metaphor, is interesting. I love making combinations like this! One of my mother's favorite phrases was "Six of one, half dozen of another." I purposely "renew" that one when I use it, in different ways, but usually some variant of "Three dozen chickens, six dozen eggs". People usually just ignore it... But some of the examples given were:
It's not rocket science + It's not brain surgery = It's not rocket surgery
He's under the gun + He's behind the eight ball = He's under the eight ball
That's another kettle of fish + That's another can of worms = That's another kettle of worms

It might be fun to come up with a few, although I'm blanking at the moment... :0)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

The idea of "idiom blend", I suppose related to the mixed metaphor, is interesting. I love making combinations like this! One of my mother's favorite phrases was "Six of one, half dozen of another." I purposely "renew" that one when I use it, in different ways, but usually some variant of "Three dozen chickens, six dozen eggs". People usually just ignore it... But some of the examples given were:
That's another kettle of fish + That's another can of worms = That's another kettle of worms

It might be fun to come up with a few, although I'm blanking at the moment... :0)

I'd contribute some but I'm not exactly the sharpest bulb in the six-pack.

D
addict
addict
D

I'd contribute some but I'm not exactly the sharpest bulb in the six-pack.

But at least your heart's as big as gold.

Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
and my favourite by a friend "He looked like death run over."

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted By: Zed

"You look like A Million Bucks! {after taxes}"

"I am certain there is too much certainty in the world" -Michael Crichton
old hand
old hand
"A bird in the hand is worth two cats on a hot tin roof"

old hand
old hand
My thought was to create some like the examples they gave, where the two idioms used actually have the same meaning, not two dissimilar phrases. This makes it harder. I can do a lame one for now:

don't spill the beans + don't let the cat out of the bag = don't let the beans out of the bag OR don't spill the cat

:0)

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: Zed

Love it!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
greenhorn as the origin of "green". In checking this out, the etymology I found is Olde English, and referring to newly slaughtered animals. If anyone can clear that up a bit more for me, I'd appreciate it because it's not clicking in my brain...
When an animal's antlers, or horns, are just growing in, they can be referred to as "green".

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"Greenhorn (containing the sense of "new, fresh, recent") was first "young horned animal" (1455), then "recently enlisted soldier" (1650), then "any inexperienced person" (1682)."

The online etymology does not speak of slaughtered animals, only of 'new , fresh, recent. These words with horn at the back. I really do not understand where 'inkhorn' comes from. ('=')

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Michael Quinion explains all, or at least inkhorn.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Thank you for that good article. In these days 'inkhorn' is an quite an inkhorn word. If I had known it as inkpot word, no one would have had to explain.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,350
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 773 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,549
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith