Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
L
Hi there! Sorry to bother you with my sherlockian musings, but it seems the author of today's quote "Poets are soldiers that liberate words from the steadfast possession of definition. -Eli Khamarov", doesn't seem to exist. After finding this Eli Khamarov, I wanted to read more on him. Wikipedia's page about him has been deleted, and Wikiquote says something like this: Not notable. Google has less than a thousand hits on the name, and there's no Wikipedia page for this person. Amazon has no trace of anyone by the name, or of a book called "America Explained!". After checking the WP deletion log for this person, it appears that the content is a copyvio of this site, which may be copyvio itself (notes of "Reprinted without permission" appear in several places on that site). Scooby, we have a mystery here.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Hello & welcome

Try this to start

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Lycos-Khamarov
Got this one via Dutch page, very obscure entries , must be a fictional person.
various connections
I did not really check them all.

this today's quote: quote doubtful site. Back to work.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
 Originally Posted By: Owlbow
Hello & welcome

Try this to start

my quote of your link makes four(4) links to the same page in this thread! (littleword's first link is one, littleword's second link has the second..)

-joe (don't break the chain) friday

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
 Originally Posted By: littleword
-Eli Khamarov", doesn't seem to exist. After finding this Eli Khamarov, I wanted to read more on him. Wikipedia's page about him has been deleted, and Wikiquote says something like this: Not notable.

Wow! I guess I don't exist. I don't have a Wikipedia page either.

I do get over 8,000 google hits

L
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
L
Thank you for your responses. I might have been a little hasty in my assumptions. Cambridge Films and IMDB have cleared up everything(found them through the Lycos link, thanks BranShea! The power of Google failed me.). I believe he'd find it funny, that not only me, but also others are questioning his existence. Maybe he'd say something like "I feel sorry for people who don't believe in things that aren't in databases."

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
You're welcome. I still hesistate. If it is a made up person it's very convincing and elaborately done.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Lieutenant Kiji.

M
addict
addict
M
 Originally Posted By: littleword
Cambridge Films and IMDB have cleared up everything

I'm not convinced by that. Searching for the two books mentioned on the Cambridge Films site (which aren't listed in the Library of Congress) only leads to quotes from the books, i.e. no one ever discusses the book or says they read it, it's all generally
"blah blah blah" - The Book by Author
EXCEPT for one site which has the same photograph and a little biographical info... it says (among other things) that he was born in 1948 and had a mis-spent youth in Israel. By my guesstimate, the person in the photo is at least 20 (though I suppose could be as young as 15). I am not claiming to be an expert judge of ages or period fashions and hairstyles, but if that is a picture of a circa-1965-1975 "mis-spent youth", I'll eat my hat.

Last edited by Myridon; 08/30/08 05:34 AM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I am not claiming to be an expert judge of ages or period fashions and hairstyles, but if that is a picture of a circa-1965-1975 "mis-spent youth", I'll eat my hat.

Yes, that was pretty much how I'd felt after coming across that site. My feeling is that Mr Jeffrey Gold invented him for his documentary, which in turn may be fictional, too. (Not on Netflix, not on Amazon.)

In the strange coinkydinky category. One of the people involved with the Khamarov documentary is John R Ciet, whose Facebook page has a link to his friend, Michael Carr, who showed up in another recent thread as the author of the "all kiods are gifted" quotation.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 674 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith