Next Thread
Print Thread
#178904 08/27/08 12:40 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
For the Love of God

Damian Hirst
Tooth grinding primeur coming up in the Amsterdam Rijksmuseum.
And they are proud to present.

One of the fading Dutch Popes of modern Art Rudi Fuchs speaks in superlative terms about this maybe superlative memento mori by British artist Damian Hirst. Describing the work as an unworldly, almost divine skull.
How loveless, empty and obvious can Art be? Or do I really miss some basic understanding?

Visitor statistics will tell how far I stand alone in my prejudiced decision to not go see this.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I think that it should be exhibited, "walking" a bejeweled skeletal poodle to make it even more gauche.

addict
addict
Goede Dag Branny.

Have to agree that is hideous. What a thing to drop in on after a long time away. \:\(

ÅΓª╥┐↕§
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Goedenavond Aramis. I hope it will not make you drop out forever.

I guess, it is not so much the fact that it is hideous, but somehow the fact that it is hiding the beauty of the bare skull,
if ye know what I mean. ( I know it's casted in platina )To complete my full and open opinion, it's no more than a shallow thin little idea realized at very high costs.

Quote:Mr. Hirst's recipe was a love-it-or-hate-it cocktail of death, celebrity, sex and technology, heavily spiked with comic self-promotion. The work was at heart about money, or about the love affair between art and money, Warhol's juicy subject. It openly trumpeted its own costly materialism and cheap thrills, in keeping with a certain upbeat and winking strain of pop culture (love the past tense in this)

Tastes differ for sure but ... Oh Art, where is.. ?article

Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
And after all that it isn't even bad art. It's only a cheap copy an expensive copy of someone else's work which makes it just bad plagiarism.
I agree with his mother.

Zed #178918 08/28/08 02:27 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
 Originally Posted By: Zed
And after all that it isn't even bad art. It's only a cheap copy an expensive copy of someone else's work which makes it just bad plagiarism.
I agree with his mother.
Your aswers are always comforting. \:\) As further information I'd like to say that the Rijksmuseum has been in dragging slow restauration for years and seems to bet on the the skull in an effort to regain some of the massive loss of visitor's attention. (scepticism )
 Quote:
Kamphuis doesn't know where the next exhibition of the skull will be after it leaves Amsterdam
This 'World Tour' might begin and end in Amsterdam.

M
M
From the linked article:

Quote:
The human skull used as the base for the work, bought in a shop in Islington, is thought to be that of a European living between 1720 and 1810. …

Perhaps an artist will find subject matter in Hirst' conduct.

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
>< Perhaps an artist will find subject matter in Hirst' conduct.

Hmm.. ? I'm not sure I understand you very well.

Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
Might be a good thing for the museum, it is the kind of thing that many will come to see for the curiosity value, and the value of the curiosity. "Hey Maudie, says in this here article that they got a diamond skull down at the museum worth 50 million bucks. I gotta see that!"

Zed #178931 08/29/08 09:08 AM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
We'll see if people will still queu for gadgets. \:\) (they will)

Hirst's skull, called ``For the Love of God,'' is cast from platinum, encrusted with 8,601 diamonds and has its original teeth, the Rijksmuseum said in a statement on its Web site.

``As an artist I try to make things that people can believe in, that they can relate to, that they can experience,'' Hirst, was quoted as saying in the statement. ``You therefore have to show them as well as possible.''

Take the first anonymous chicken bone and cant'we relate to that?

You are right with your "bad plagiarism". It's all been said and done around the twenties in the 20th Century by the Dada movement a which included all the principes of Art and was by far
more subtle.

Dada
Marcel Duchamp
Picabia
Man Ray

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,347
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 780 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,548
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith