Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
J
Is there a word for the passive object that is spatially manipulated by the players so as to play the game? That is, an abstract word for specific examples such as ball, puck and shuttlecock?

As a substitute, I'm using the word 'operand', which has a satisfyingly similar meaning in mathematics. Thanks, cheers.

Last edited by Jeremy Murphy; 08/26/08 12:08 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
many dictionaries resort to object, in the abstract.

J
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
J
Yeah, I'm hoping to find something more specific than that.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Not for me to be of any help, but I'd like to ask in this context: which word is more abstract, object or thing

object
1. Something perceptible by one or more of the senses, especially by vision or touch; a material thing. 2. A focus of attention, feeling, thought, or action: an object of contempt. 3. The purpose, aim, or goal of a specific action or effort: the object of the game.

thing
1. An entity, an idea, or a quality perceived, known, or thought to have its own existence. 2a. The real or concrete substance of an entity. b. An entity existing in space and time. c. An inanimate object. 3. Something referred to by a word, a symbol, a sign, or an idea; a referent.

(both from American Heritage)

To me the second definition seems to be more focussed on the abstract.

veteran
veteran
Manipulandum?

Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
Could you use "counter" as one would in board games?

old hand
old hand
Any of these.

Agent, equipment, implement, tool, utensil.

old hand
old hand
Do you really mean abstract? It seems to me you mean something more like generic. There is nothing 'abstract' about any of these missiles, especially if they hit you at speed. They are all concrete objects.

How about one of these?

missile
projectile
ball (which etymologically refers not to roundness but to being projected through the air) or if you prefer a made up word: ballistile

J
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
J
 Originally Posted By: The Pook
Do you really mean abstract? It seems to me you mean something more like generic. There is nothing 'abstract' about any of these missiles, especially if they hit you at speed. They are all concrete objects.

How about one of these?

missile
projectile
ball (which etymologically refers not to roundness but to being projected through the air) or if you prefer a made up word: ballistile

Yes, I guess I really meant the class word for such objects. Words like missile and projectile are too broad; manipulandum is better because really, the object does not have to be a projectile, it could be a counter or piece like somebody else suggested. Balls, pucks and shuttlecocks just happen to all be projectiles; my mistake if I stressed that feature. So a word that means, "A manipulandum that is the focus of, or central to, play in a game" is what I'm looking for. Does that make more sense?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Only problem I see with manipulandum is no one would know what you mean. Counter would work for, maybe, something like a backgammon piece or a Monopoly piece, something that marks your progress in a game where you proceed around a game board.

Perhaps you could select from this list of more specific terms that would be in the group you are trying to find a word for:

baseball
basketball
hockey puck
tennis ball
chess piece
poker chip
backgammon piece
mahjongg tile
checker (what do you call these when the game is called draughts?)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,347
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 631 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,548
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith