Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#178477 08/02/08 05:56 PM
tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
a question for nuncle jim, our resident linguist: is there any useful distinction to be made between the terms creole and pidgin?

tsuwm #178478 08/02/08 07:35 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
jumping in (where i have no place to be..but has that ever stopped me?)

a creole is a language (made up by children) using elements of 2 or more language.

a pidgin is a communications system, with no established grammer, that uses vocabulary of 2 or more languages. Pidgins are crude, and exist only to perform specific tasks.. (ie, someone might speak a pidgin at work, but goes home to native language)

Creoles grow out of pidgins, and are real languages, with rules of grammar (that can be recognized, even if they are not formally established). Creoles use words from several languages, and also make up new words (that are not in either language)

Childen of the people who speak the pidgin, mingle, and at first use the pidgin.. but in short while (a generation) the pidgen evolves into a creole (but many also know the original language of parents, (and might speak it at home with parents) but as creole speakers become parents, they speak creole at home (with their children ) as well as in public (market place, work, etc)

the pidgin 'dies out" or only spoken by the newest of immigrants, (and only for a short while)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Pretty much what Helen said. A creole is a nativized pidgin, and a pidgin is a simple artificial language for elementary communication (link and link. Though saying that children create it makes it sound too volitional. The pidgin in the mouth of babes changes and develops to become more complex grammatically. Tok Pisin (link and link) is a New Guinean creole which has been studied extensively. At least one linguist, Theo Vennemann, thinks that Germanic derives from a non-Indo-European-based (or Old European) pidgin that developed into a Creole. IIRC.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Thanks nuncle..
Tsuwm managed to find one of my pot holes of knowledge..
(my knowledge, general speaking, is Miles wide, and microns deep.. with a pot hole or two (or two dozen) and one or two (if that) sink holes..

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
 Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
Tok Pisin (link and link) is a New Guinean creole which has been studied extensively.

Does this mean that despite its name Solomon Islands Pijin is not a pidgin? Books and magazines are published in it so does that make it a creole called "Pijin" and not an actual pidgin?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Solomon Islands Pijin is not a pidgin?

Long story short it used to be a pidgin and the name stuck. {I]Pijin[/i] (along with Bislama) is related to Tok Pisin. According to the SIL Ethnologue (link) it has about 25K first language users and around 300K 2nd and 3rd language users. That makes it a creole in my opinion, but it also states that it is in the process of creolization. You might want to read Dell Hymes, Robert Hall, or John McWhorter on pidgins and creoles. (Cf. the confusion in calling many of the Chinese languages, e.g., Mandarin, Hakka, or Cantonese, dialects when they are in fact languages and mutually unintelligible.)

It's like trying to distinguish between a language and a dialect, or the latter and a cant, jargon, or patois. (Famously) a language is a dialect with an army and a navy (link). Patois is a French synonym for dialect, and a cant or jargon is a specialized vocabulary used by certain groups, e.g., soldiers, thieves, IT professionals, antique dealers.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
>Bislama, etc.

this is, in fact, what triggered my question!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
An example of Bislama is the national anthem of Vanatu, Yumi, Yumi, Yumi (link), the title of which uses the inclusive first person plural pronoun yumi 'you and I' as opposed to mifala 'that person and I' which is exclusive of the hearer (link). The pronominal system also has dual and trial numbers as well as singular and plural.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,344
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 782 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,546
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith