About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#17828 02/06/01 06:39 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
The term "Michiganders" was coined by Ohioans as a pejorative term, apparently around the time that Michigan and Ohio had a border war. My memory of high school history class is hazy, but I recall that the single battle was fought in a farm field, resulting in casualties of a couple of geese and some cabbage heads. The dispute was settled, with Ohio getting the strip of land, including Toledo, and Michigan getting the entire upper peninsula. Despite the term "Michiganders," it seems it was the Ohioans who got plucked.

Natives of Michigan are now variously called Michiganians and Michiganders. Neither term bothers.

#17829 02/06/01 09:07 PM
J
old hand
old hand
J
The dispute was settled, with Ohio getting the strip of land, including Toledo, and Michigan getting the entire upper peninsula. Despite the term "Michiganders," it seems it was the Ohioans who got plucked.

I find it hard to believe that Ohio was fighting over the upper penninsula, we like all of our state to be in one piece, a nice heart-shaped piece.

And when exactly was this battle, if it was even a real fighting battle? I've heard of it, but I've never seen any maps that show a difference in the borders.

#17830 02/06/01 10:01 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
The fight was over the border between Michigan and Ohio -- with Michigan wanting it a bit south, and Ohio a bit north, and Ohio winning as to the ultimate location of the line, which meant that Toledo ended up in Ohio. The UP came into play only as a settlement device: the arbiters (the feds, I'm guessing) offered Michigan a chunk of the northwest territory to compensate for the loss of Toledo, etc. At the time, they thought the UP to be useless wilderness. The copper and iron deposits were only discovered later, and of course timber became a big UP industry as well. Not to mention pasties ...

There was a battle, in a farm field, with the cabbage and poultry casualties I mentioned. I can't remember any more, but I'll bet both Ohio and Michigan's state libraries have info.

I never hear the controversy mentioned anymore, but "Michiganders" lives on.

And only slightly related: Jeff Daniels' movie Escanaba in Da Moonlight opened in Michigan last weekend, and did well. If a national distributor picks it up, do try to catch it. Crude, but funny, and a nice sampling of Yooper language. (In a review last week, a transplanted Yooper explained that she'd married a troll 20 years ago, and her family hadn't quite forgiven her yet.)

#17831 02/06/01 10:24 PM
J
old hand
old hand
J
Ohio winning as to the ultimate location of the line, which meant that Toledo ended up in Ohio

Well, people in Toledo act like they're in Detroit, so I guess it's all the same.

F
F
My dad used to tell a joke about some Russian named Rudolph the Red. He was very good at predicting weather. I think the joke involved some kid asking his mom how Rudolph knew it was going to rain. Her reply, of course, was, "Because Rudolph the Red knows rain, dear."

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Tsuwm - How complete the circle has become! We called that knife game "Chicken" because the positions the knife were to be thrown into revolved around your opponents foot. Moving the foot resulted in a punch in the upper arm (unless you could run fast).

BYB - I would imagine neither Tswum nor you are big fans of Xena - the princess warrior

F
F
[slightly confused emoticon] How does Xena, bimbo warrior, come into all of this?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
francais-pi(can I call you that)- BYB's answer to the rules to mumbledy-peg ended with the word "cross-dressing" as a comment towards crossing certain traditional "roles" - to which I had to add the description "warrior princess" (she does wear a skirt, however...).

I never did get the 'splaynin' about gettin' "goosed", now who's the chicken . My marbles were played (not completely out) in the mid 60's w/girls and there was no "problem" conceived or perceived...(yet)...(er.., I'll shut up now...)

F
F
francais-pi(can I call you that)-
Sure. I also answer to francais.

Thanks for clearing that up.

#17837 02/13/01 02:44 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
francais-pi(can I call you that)

Let's see: français (silk) pie, "pican" pie--
we sure seem to be getting a lot of pies around here.
Blueberry calling Lemon...

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,350
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 773 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,549
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith