Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
old hand
old hand
How fascinating. Hartog must have been around as a family name much earlier, though, since Dirk Hartog 'discovered' the West coast of what would later become Australia in 1616.
Dirk Hartog

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ahaaaa! It was a little Tasmanian trap then. \:\) O.K. The Hartogs or Den Hartogs must be ligitimate old names. The old Sea Heroes's noblesse.
The rest of my post is true. X me heart....! Quite some people have inherited those mockery names.

(I did say maybe for the Hartog name.)

old hand
old hand
No, the trap was of your making. I asked the question before you said anything about the made up names.

Tasmania is of course named after another Dutchman. And before it was called Tasmania it was called van Diemen's Land (he was the governor of the East Indies when Tasman discovered the island). And Australia was first called "New Holland" of course. So if history had taken a slightly different turn, or Captain Cook had not been such a good navigator, I might be speaking Dutch instead.

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
 Originally Posted By: The Pook
No, the trap was of your making. I asked the question before you said anything about the made up names.

Tasmania is of course named after another Dutchman. And before it was called Tasmania it was called van Diemen's Land (he was the governor of the East Indies when Tasman discovered the island).

and the islands to your east are still stuck with the dutch name Tasman gave them.

old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: latishya
and the islands to your east are still stuck with the dutch name Tasman gave them.

Separated by the Tasman sea. However, the first European name for New Zealand was Staten Landt. Later changed to Nova Zeelandia, after the Dutch province of Zeeland.

old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: latishya
 Originally Posted By: The Pook

Tasmania is of course named after another Dutchman. And before it was called Tasmania it was called van Diemen's Land (he was the governor of the East Indies when Tasman discovered the island).

Better than the cumbersome title Captain Cook gave to the east coast of Australia, and which one of our states still bears - New South Wales. At one time the whole colony was known as this, then van Dieman's land was settled in 1804, then one by one the other colonies (later states) peeled off.

New Zealand is mentioned in the Australian constitution as a potential member of the new Federation of former colonies that became Australia in 1901. They were invited to join but declined. Any time they want to join they are welcome. Australians regard them as the 8th state anyway, and most of them live near Bondi beach in Sydney.

Last edited by The Pook; 05/08/08 07:42 AM.
olly #176730 05/08/08 12:40 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Bran, do you know who Staten was? since NYC also had a Staten land, (now still staten island, and home to new dorp--now just a community name, but the first dutch settlement in NYC (they moved to manhattan a few years later.)

newdorp is a pretty simple name, but there are several newtown's on US east coast. (in NYC Newtown is newtown (not nue/tun (like the cookie)

Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Speaking of context [cross-threading e], while standing in the kitchen cooking breakfast this morning, I finally got the "little joke". Bless your heart--on this board Anu means one person and that's all, Sugar.

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
 Originally Posted By: Jackie
Speaking of context [cross-threading e], while standing in the kitchen cooking breakfast this morning, I finally got the "little joke". Bless your heart--on this board Anu means one person and that's all, Sugar.

I was not thinking of more than one Anu when I made my post. I was think of a singular object.

old hand
old hand
Maybe Jackie knows his cousin, Uranus...

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,373
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (wofahulicodoc), 166 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,562
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith