About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Apostrophes are important.

No, they ain't. They're a sugar coating. Nice, but hardly necessary or important.

Wouldnt it be terrible without em?

The use of apostrophes is, in the main, a late 17th or early 18 century phenomenon. Like many usage choices, which some dream cannot be done without, the language managed quite well without. As Mr ThePook jocularly shows, most spelling and usage infelicities have little to do with the intended message getting through. In fact, I've always maintained that if you can correct a sentence, it's not in real need of emendation. That's why we can understand Shakespeare and Chaucer in spite of the chaotic spelling and lack of punctuation.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: Faldage
 Originally Posted By: The Pook

Do you mean non-rhotic spelling? Surely people have been speaking dialects with or without the 'r' sounds in certain words for longer than that?

Certainly, in some circumstances the R has dropped out of pronunciations, but it doesn't really count as non-rhoticism. The missing R in speak is an example. I think it's a matter of an R after a bilabial or labio-dental that disappears. Modern examples are liberry, Febyuary, and infastructure. That doesn't really count as non-rhoticism. And, yes, probably there are dialects all over the world where post-vocalic Rs have disappeared. But this is Modern Standard English we're talking about and it's all getting too complicated to keep up at the moment. I've got my day job to go to and it's getting late.

Have a nice day! Mine's over and I'm about to try to get to bed early for a change.

The above is just a sideline anyway (what isn't here!) - the main point I'm making is that the original word DIDN'T have a spoken 'r' in the second syllable when it came into the language, so it is extremely unlikely for the 'r' sound to have been added, since, as you point out here, they tend to elide rather than appear (sorry, elide is not the right word, that applies to vowels, doesn't it, but the word for consonants slipping out eludes my old brain right now). So it must be a non-rhotic spelling variant.

old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
That's why we can understand Shakespeare and Chaucer in spite of the chaotic spelling and lack of punctuation.

Well, Shakespeare at least. YOU might understand Chaucer easily. Personally I only understand Chaucer with difficulty, after reading the sentence three times. Not because of the spelling and punctuation, but because his vocabulary, usage, grammar, pronunciation, etc is probably more different from Shakespeare than Shakespeare is from us.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
the original word DIDN'T have a spoken 'r' in the second syllable when it came into the language, so it is extremely unlikely for the 'r' sound to have been added, since, as you point out here

I haven't looked at the citations, but how do we know this? All sorts of things happen to words after they've been borrowed. Middle English parfit became Present-Day English perfect. Somehow, I doubt it has anything to do with rhotic and non-rhotic dialects or orthography.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
the original word DIDN'T have a spoken 'r' in the second syllable when it came into the language, so it is extremely unlikely for the 'r' sound to have been added, since, as you point out here

I haven't looked at the citations, but how do we know this? All sorts of things happen to words after they've been borrowed. Middle English parfit became Present-Day English perfect. Somehow, I doubt it has anything to do with rhotic and non-rhotic dialects or orthography.

True, strange things happen in English. But, since both parfit and perfect have an 'r' in them I don't quite get your point there? But then it is late here and I'm probably missing the obvious.

I still think it's far less likely for an 'r' sound (as opposed to merely the letter) between a vowel and a final consonant to be added than to be subtracted. Assuming the original assertion that it's not there in the Arabic word is correct - I never checked that.

Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Er--can y'all 'splain to me what this refers to, please?

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
 Originally Posted By: Jackie

Have a look at the subject line.

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I would surmise that Anu has written and posted more than one column (haven't taken/made time to look) and that there's another, subsequent to the one fingered in the index post here, that uses the phrase "Apostrophes are important."

Has anyone found it?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
 Originally Posted By: latishya
 Originally Posted By: Jackie

Have a look at the subject line.

huh?! Anu is on Encarta.. Anu's on Encarta.
this is not a possessive, singular or plural.

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Aha. Missed it the first time 'round. You're right - it's not a possessive. It's a contraction. And it is indeed important here.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,373
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,562
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith