Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: Jackie
they pronounce geyser as geezer

And how many syllables are there in it Jackie?

You can pronounce it geezer, gai-zer (ai as in aisle) or gay-zer as far as I'm concerned and I'll still understand you. Which do you say?

old hand
old hand
The Franz Josef, an awesome sight. More often than not I pronounce Glacier as Glaycier and not with the american inflection of gless Having said that, I Is'nt a true Britspeaker.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Josef, correct; sorry! I say guy-zer--only two syllAbles...
Don't think I've heard glesher; all I've ever heard here is glaysher.

I Is'nt a true Britspeaker Compared to here, you are! ;\)
This phrase reminded me of a story my husband came home with some years ago. He had a probationer sitting at his desk when another officer came by and said he thought Hubby's guy had been involved in a purse snatching. The guy reared up his head, straightened his shoulders, and said with mingled pride and outrage, "I ain't no puhss snatchah: I is a ahmed robbah!"

old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: olly
I Is'nt a true Britspeaker.

heh heh, you can't expect an Aussie not to comment on that one mate, can you!

Was watching that NZ show called Serious Crash Unit the other night and one of the police investigators said that the vehicle "lift the road and het a table drain before coming to rist in a backyard." Or words to that iffict. I wonder from whence cometh this intriguing vowel swapping in kiwi speak - do you know olly? \:\)

We would usually say glaycia, btw, without the 'sh'. It has three syllables - glay-see-uh.

Last edited by The Pook; 04/22/08 11:22 PM.
old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: The Pook
We would usually say glaycia, btw, without the 'sh'. It has three syllables - glay-see-uh.

With ya on that one.
Regarding the vowel swapping, I would suggest it has to do with early immigrant influence and native vowel sounds. Apart from the English settlers there were a lot of Scots and Irish and perhaps in the earlier part of last century it all seemed to ooze into our current hodgepodge we call keewee.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
that NZ show called Serious Crash Unit Ooh, sounds good! [bloodthirsty e]

old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: Jackie
that NZ show called Serious Crash Unit Ooh, sounds good! [bloodthirsty e]

SCU - wiki
TV2NZ SCU

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Wow, that sounds really good. I don't know that I'd enjoy this part, though: The series also talks to family members whose loved ones where involved in the crash.

Your program sounds actually educational, which is a good thing. The ones I watch here just show the crashes, with maybe a comment on the outcome: "walked away with minor injuries", "had a lot of time in jail to think about why", "sadly did not live", etc. Don't hear that last one very often (I think because they just don't show many of those, not because they don't happen). The last time I heard that one was probably to get a lesson across: two teens had stolen a car, ran a red light at high speed and were T-boned by a tanker truck which had the green. (This was a show of views from police car cameras.)

old hand
old hand
Yes we get those ones from you as well as the NZ one and our own Australian Police Reality TV shows.

I don't like the increasingly common practice of police forces in selling their CCTV and patrol car footage to TV channels. The potential for corruption is huge.

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
 Originally Posted By: The Pook
Yes we get those ones from you as well as the NZ one and our own Australian Police Reality TV shows.

I don't like the increasingly common practice of police forces in selling their CCTV and patrol car footage to TV channels. The potential for corruption is huge.

According to the CPI, NZ is 1st equal for low corruption levels and Australia is 11th, so you probably have less to worry about than many.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,371
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 803 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith