A
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
A
This from CNN.com:

Quote:
Pope blesses children with disabilities
Pope Benedict XVI blessed a group of children with disabilities Saturday and told them it was a special joy to spend time with them. "God has blessed you with life and with differing talents and gifts," he said. Through these, you are able to serve him and society in various ways."

I would have said this was an error or even a faux pas on the part of CNN, but here is an excerpt from a letter by the Pope:

Quote:
I cannot finish this Letter, therefore, without a warm invitation to place our hope in God. He alone is the hope that withstands every disappointment; his love alone cannot be destroyed by death; his justice and mercy alone can heal injustices and recompense the suffering experienced. Hope that is addressed to God is never hope for oneself alone, it is always also hope for others; it does not isolate us but renders us supportive in goodness and encourages us to educate one another in truth and in love.

So when did the practice of capitalizing a "holy pronoun" come to an end? Just curious.

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
Alex, I quite agree. The shift is done out of laziness. When writing at sustained clip it is easy to forget the cap and thus the new trend simply serves the laziness of the writers

dalehileman
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
What, you didn't get the memo? It was last July. July 17th at 2:36 PM Vatican time to be precise.

old hand
old hand
To be accurate, (the judeochristianoislamo) God should not be referred to as "He" or "he"; Genesis clearly states: "In God's image God made them [Adam and Eve]; male and female God created them". The laziness started a LONG time ago in deferring to a patriarchal society and suppressing the feminine nature of God. Perhaps removing the capital is a way of toning down the masculinity, who knows? I have seen many writings, including in my own church, that do not use a capital. In fact, "he" is only used in reference to Jesus, not God, except in the Lord's prayer, which they are loathe to PCize...

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Back when gender meant something in English, the word God was masculine and would take the masculine pronoun. The word that gave us MnE woman was also masculine but I don't know whether they used the masculine pronoun for it.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
the word G-d [un-sicced]

!װאס איז דאס? א שאנדע, א גרױסע עבירה, פע (vos iz dos? a shande, a groyse aveyre, fe!) And on Peysakh, too.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
M
M
Is it possible that CNN went with he in an effort not to be accused of endorsing religious doctrine?

The capitalization issue could get more controversial if many readers conclude that not keeping He upper case drops the antecedent to the level of a mortal's proper name such as Henry. Avoiding using God and a corresponding pronoun might be easy enough in most news reporting, but quotations containing both necessitate a style choice for hard copy and web text reporting.

How will CNN and others in news reporting handle the capitalization issue? Web searchers will keep a vigil.

Last edited by morphememedley; 04/20/08 02:24 AM.
old hand
old hand
In the original Judeo-Christian scriptures there was no capitalisation of personal pronouns, including that of God, for the simple reason that there was no capitalisation at all. The real question is not when did it cease but when did it begin? It is a custom or tradition of church history, or even of the wider culture of 'Christendom' and not of the foundation documents of Christianity or Judaism. Surely what you say about God is more important than whether you say it about Him or him?

Last edited by The Pook; 04/20/08 07:43 AM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The real question is not when did it cease but when did it begin?

So true. It's simply a stylistic convention. Here's an image of a 14th century MS of the John Wycliffe (d.1384) translation of the Gospel of St John (link). The only capital visible is the one that starts the first chapter of the book. That was the style then. Interestingly enough, in the few transcribed versions of this passage which I consulted, the capitalization usage of today is used (link).

Moving along to the Early Modern English period, looking at the William Tyndale (ca.1494–1536) translation (1526) of the same book (link) shows no capitalization for the word god either. By the time (1539) of the Great Bible by Myles Cloverdale (1488–1568), we find capitalization (link).

There are other English translations of the Bible to investigate, but I leave that as an exercise to the reader. So, the answer is probably sometime in the early 16th century.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
stranger
stranger
I rather agree with morphememedley -- it's a religious issue, not a grammatical one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,331
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 854 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith