Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
What Pook said. He sounds to me like a Scot who got on the Received-English track real early, with the occasional throw-back slipping in.

old hand
old hand
My favorite UKism is reh NAY sonce, followed by al you MIN ee um, which is actually spelt differently than its American counterpart, strangely enough. :0)

old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: twosleepy
My favorite UKism is reh NAY sonce, followed by al you MIN ee um, which is actually spelt differently than its American counterpart, strangely enough. :0)

We also spell it the correct way - aluminium and pronounce it like that. It's not Al-OO-m'num.

And how else would you pronounce renaissance? REN-ah-sonce? How come North Americans have this predilection for pronouncing anything with an 'e' in the first syllable with the stress on that syllable?

You yanks just don't know how to talk proper!

Last edited by The Pook; 04/19/08 02:05 AM.
old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: AnnaStrophic
What Pook said. He sounds to me like a Scot who got on the Received-English track real early, with the occasional throw-back slipping in.

Actually the more I listen to him the less Scots he sounds, but yes there are the vestigial remnants such as the unvoiced 'wh' rather than a voiced 'wh' in words like 'what' and 'where' and the occasional rhotic rather than non-rhotic 'r' - definitely a Scots accent modified by the English Public School system.

I have read somewhere, however, that even the British media have taken him to task for some of his idiosyncratic pronunciations, so maybe at least some of it is simply Brownspeak.

Last edited by The Pook; 04/19/08 02:07 AM.
Faldage Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
 Originally Posted By: The Pook

We also spell it the correct way - aluminium and pronounce it like that. It's not Al-OO-m'num.

Which way is correct depends on whether you go by Davy's first, second, or third attempt at naming it. It started off as alumium.

old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: Faldage
 Originally Posted By: The Pook

Which way is correct depends on whether you go by Davy's first, second, or third attempt at naming it. It started off as alumium.

No no no, it's quite clear, historical facts have nothing to do with it, whatever way we do it must be the right way, mustn't it?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
That's nothing--I found out from Bingley that Britspeakers think a waterspout is an old man (they pronounce geyser as geezer) and that a big ice floe is more slippery (a glacier is glassier).

Oh, hey, olly--I saw a bit on the Travel Channel about the Franz Joseph glacier last week.

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
 Originally Posted By: Jackie
That's nothing--I found out from Bingley that Britspeakers think a waterspout is an old man (they pronounce geyser as geezer) and that a big ice floe is more slippery (a glacier is glassier).

Oh, hey, olly--I saw a bit on the Travel Channel about the Franz Joseph glacier last week.

I think that's Franz Josef.

old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: latishya
 Originally Posted By: Jackie

I think that's Franz Josef.

Yes it is, been there done that \:D

And that's not a waterspout, Jackie, this is a waterspout:
Waterspout off Sydney

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Beautiful as long as it sticks to the water.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,342
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 491 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,546
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,917
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith