About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Dear Jackie,
Since the last safety mesurement changes for the system I get the contents of PM's directly with the message announcement.
I don't know if everyone gets this. Before, we had to go pick it up. Now it is hurried into my mailbox.
I sort of liked the old situation. Now you can have no second thoughts (I often have). If you still want to change the message (or delete it) the adressed person has already received the original in his outlook e. or whatever he/she uses.

What do you and others think of this.
Second, My "buddy list"(oh boy! buddy! \:D ) does not add even if I click 'add '.
Do I do something wrong?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
yeahbut, if you delete the PM before they "read" it, they may never know who it was from! (the email just says from wordsmith.org)

and I've never been able to get the add buddy thing to work.

-joe (secret sender) friday

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Owh, deep thinking:
The old way: you could delete a post and the "receiver" would never know there had been a post. So it could be retrieved as long as it showed "unread by:".
The new way: the message page shows "unread" but you don't really need to open it any more, because you read it already.
Now I have to think over the pro's and contra's of these two ways.
You cannot undo what you wrote and regret before the message hits the (un)lucky adressed one. (contra)
I see no pro sofar.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I get the contents of PM's directly with the message announcement. I've never seen that; do you mean in your e-mail notification, or just when you click on your My Messages icon here? If here, then all I can think of is that maybe you're using a different stylesheet than mine: I chose "snow". But even when I tried another one, I wasn't shown the message--just the list of them.

As far as deleting something you've sent, that never used to be possible; tsuwm and I experimented with that a little, and it seems you can indeed delete your posts from somebody else's list!

The most recent change has caused a variety of problems, that's for sure; one person couldn't log on from work; another has some difficulty making posts; and now this.

I'm sorry, but the solution most likely to bring results is to write to Anu.

Er--my Buddy list is working fine, jftr. The new name does not appear in either of the boxes, however, but in the space in between them. Vertically in-between.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I apologize for my earlier post. I haven't actually opened the notice of a PM in a long, long time. I see it in my in-box, then come here via some window I have open(ed). Well, we had a brief power failure about an hour ago; I came in and turned my computer back on, and opened e-mail as per usual. I saw a notice and for some reason decided it might be quicker to get here by clicking on the link in it...and there was the content of the message! I was quite shocked, and more than a little dismayed: I like to save the surprise of reading it for actually being here. [man I don't do well with change e]

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
"No need to apoligize, what difference would it make..." (Bob Dylan)
I'm used to it now and that list oh well.... never mind. It's easier to send a PM straight from the board name.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,372
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 220 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith