Print Thread
#175410 04/01/08 02:35 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
... at Language Log:

April 01, 2008
Important safety information

If you have strong concerns about English usage, science reporting, language analysis, lexicography, or linguistic atrocities of any kind, you should use Language Log. It is well known for its delayed release. For best results daily use is recommended.

Although laboratory studies have shown the effectiveness of Language Log, it may not be for everyone. Federal regulations require Language Log to disclose possible adverse effects when used by children under twelve (12), by certain adults, or by small animals and birds that are said to evidence minimal language skills.

Possible side effects vary by age and may include nausea, diarrhea, constipation, or headache. If you experience nausea while using Language Log, take food or strong coffee. If diarrhea becomes severe, see your doctor. Constipation is the normal condition of Language Log writers and studies have shown that it can be contagious. If Language Log causes headache, you should complain directly to the writer. Users experiencing symptoms of blindness should not read Language Log.

Tell your doctor right away if your condition worsens or if you have sudden, unusual changes in behavior or recurring dark and depressing thoughts.

If you experience unwanted side effects, Language Log offers a money back guarantee and a free one-year subscription.
Posted by Roger Shuy at April 1, 2008 08:48 AM

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Whoa--thanks, Anna!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
What? Are you sure it's April 1 already? Sure it's not a joke?

Well then:

Backyard Cacophony

A large flock of crying seagulls blown in from the shore, scaring the parakeets off in shreeks.
Croaks of crows in loud protest.
Non stop tweets of titmouse and finches, frogs croacking at noon in the neighbour's
" pond " (the seize of half a bathtub), blackbirds and pigeons waiting for their crumbs of bread. The ants are out, soon I'll have my daily argument with the aphids , who are their livestock and the ruin of the apple tree.

Appletree bursting into leaf and blossom.(soundless)
Not much of a handle for discussion but just to say:
"Spring is here at last! "

Now the weather report ten minutes ago must be an April joke too and a bad one, predicting the same rainstorms and night frosts we've been having for ............far too long. \:\(

Last edited by BranShea; 04/01/08 07:27 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
My favorite April Fools' weather joke was during my time in Flagstaff, Arizona. I had just gotten out of class and went to the Latin Quarter bar for a couple of beers. When I went in it wasn't snowing and there was no snow on the ground. I was in the bar long enough for a couple of beers, about an hour and a half. When I came out it wasn't snowing but there was a foot and a half of snow on the ground. As far as I know it could all have come down in about three seconds, just WHUMPPP!!!! I walked home six miles through the woods that night.

old hand
old hand
Uhhh, just how drunk were you?!?!? LOLOLOL!!! :0)

old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: Faldage
for a couple of beers...

Yes, I'm familiar with that euphemism... ;\)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
In this case it wasn't a euphemism; it was a couple of beers. I'd have had to drink all night long or have engaged in a hard game of 5-9-13 to have imagined that snow.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,335
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 497 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,543
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,917
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith