About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
ideolect

As a linguistic term, ideolect has a neutral connotation.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: Zed
The trick is to put it where you would use the US huh, "New hummer, huh?"

In the part of the US I am from, "huh" is mostly used as a marker of confusion or not understanding: "Huh?", or, in an interestingly ironic twist, to indicate understanding, maybe mixed with a little "if you say so" skepticism, generally after an explanation: "Huh."

Around here, most people would actually use the /ay/ sound on your example: "New Hummer, aay?", but it is not the same phoneme as the Canadian. It is a bit harder and longer. I would venture to say that it probably dripped south from Canada, being as close as we are. It is sometimes accompanied by an elbow nudge (or movement).

I always thought of the Canadian /ay/ as used in looking for confirmation or rolling a question to another person, as in "I don't, eh?", meaning "I don't know, do you?". My mother was Canadian (making me 1/2, ha ha), but she didn't use "eh" much at all. She probably dropped before I was born, having moved here when she got married, but she was also a teacher, and perhaps scrubbed it from her speech for that reason. :0)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
This thread led me to a bit of googling, which, in turn, informed me that there's a project afoot to update the Dictionary of Canadianisms on Historical Principles (1967). The project is being lead by an Austrian academic (link)

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
Maybe "right" would have been a better US translation, at least in some states. Apparently if I was writing US''n dialogue i would get that wrong too.
English speaking Canadians do tend to be more active in listening; nodding, murmuring or saying confirmations (this is not considered interrupting) and the speaker's eh invites that. It is also used to turn a statement into a question rather than changing the word order or merely added onto the end of a question or sentence for emphasis. Or it may merely be a verbal tic, more common in the east as I said.
"I don't know, eh?" would usually mean "Really, I don't know." This is a good example of foreign written dialogue.
What part of the true north is your Mom from?

old hand
old hand
My mom was a native Torontonian. My grandmother lived there on her own, and came down to visit, as we would go up to visit. I have very fond memories of Toronto, and a couple of years ago took my son up in the CN tower, which he was thrilled with. We used to hit Canada once a year or so, if only Niagara Falls, but now you are supposed to have passports and such, and it's more hassle. Bummer!

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
I see what you mean about the eh inviting an "I'm listening/understanding what you mean" response. I do know that it's uncomfortable when you're talking with somebody and you get no reponse. You feel the need to say "do you know what I mean" when getting no reactions.

old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
ideolect

As a linguistic term, ideolect has a neutral connotation.

Did I say it didn't? Sorry if I gave the impression that it was somehow pejorative. It is just the individual version of 'dialect.'

old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: twosleepy
The trick is to put it where you would use the US huh, "New hummer, huh?"

In the part of the US I am from, "huh" is mostly used as a marker of confusion or not understanding: "Huh?", or, in an interestingly ironic twist, to indicate understanding, maybe mixed with a little "if you say so" skepticism, generally after an explanation: "Huh."

Maybe "right" would have been a better US translation, at least in some states. Apparently if I was writing US''n dialogue i would get that wrong too.

I have an American friend from Ohio via California who uses "huh" in both ways, sometimes like "eh?" on the end of a sentence, as in "It's a nice day, huh?" and sometimes as a marker indicating that he is following what you're saying, where he will nod his head and say "huh" or less frequently "uh-huh." Whether this reflects an Ohian or Californian dialect or is just Phil's ideolect I have no idea.

Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
As far as I am aware, the Canadian eh has no relationship to Fonzie's ideolect.

old hand
old hand
As far as I am aware, the Canadian eh has no relationship to Fonzie's ideolect.

Hmm. How would you spell the Fonz' 'eh'? It's a lot longer than just 'eh.' But 'eeeehhhh' sounds too much like a girl's scream. Perhaps 'aaaayyyy'?

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,330
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,577 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,541
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith