About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
 Originally Posted By: callithump
In my native language, there is a word literally meaning "Gone mad when people gathereed" to describe a person who will get excited when people gather around him and he tries to get attention by, say, performing.
Is there a english word for this?

Interesting. I try to imagine this moment of " anticipation to get attention "?

In my language there is no such word and I'm no expert on English. Dutch manners are known to be not particularly refined. \:\)
We just shout and wave or raise hand for attention.
For the person who waits for attention to perform, we have no special word.

C
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
C
On one occasion i read a book which classified guys into 3 categories:

1. People Smart, who feels more at home with people than with books or than being left alone;
2. Book smart, who feels at easy with books;
and
3. Self smart, who likes being left alone and shy of seeing people.

Maybe I failed to express exactly what I mean. I mean the word to define a person who likes being with people and is confident or even excited when at the attention of others.

Oh, god. Are we unclear, still? \:\)

Last edited by callithump; 04/01/08 11:52 AM.

Do inform me if you see any corrections needed in my written English.
old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: callithump
In my native language, there is a word literally meaning "Gone mad when people gathereed" to describe a person who will get excited when people gather around him and he tries to get attention by, say, performing.

Is there a english word for this?

I don't know about an English word but we have a Jack Russell dog that describes it perfectly. We call his behaviour when he does it "going cracka-dog." \:\)

Last edited by The Pook; 04/01/08 11:55 AM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
lonely? needy? insecure?

formerly known as etaoin...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I mean the word to define a person who likes being with people and is confident or even excited when at the attention of others. Then, I think the word extrovert fits this description best.

A person who likes being left alone and shy of seeing people is an introvert. (Extro- indicating outward, intro- indicating inward.)

old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: etaoin
lonely? needy? insecure?

I think etaoin hit the nail on the head with those. A person who needs attention like that probably has more than one underlying emotional issue. Someone who doesn't need it, per se, but just likes to take advantage of an audience, would be back to my original response, a "ham".

old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: Jackie
I mean the word to define a person who likes being with people and is confident or even excited when at the attention of others. Then, I think the word extrovert fits this description best.

A person who likes being left alone and shy of seeing people is an introvert. (Extro- indicating outward, intro- indicating inward.)

I respectfully disagree with these characterizations. I consider myself an extrovert (along with many others on these boards!), but unless I was very, very good at whatever I was going to do in front of the crowd, I would probably not. Example: At a D&D convention many moons ago, I attended a "Pun Dungeon", participated, and won. You'll never catch me at a karaoke machine, though, even though I do sing in a choir. Believe, I'm doing the world a favor!

By the same token, I know some introverts who may not want attention from people, but they do enjoy being around people and being part of a group, just not very actively. I must say, I have trouble understanding this, and if I am alone with an introvert, s/he will tend to make me nervous from lack of feedback, unless I know the person well, and where I stand with him/her. :0)

PS My extroversion builds up on me, though, and I need "down time" for my "inner introvert", or I'll go nuts!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
 Quote:
I mean the word to define a person who likes being with people and is confident or even excited when at the attention of others.

I think it is Jackie who hits the nail. For if Callit puts it this way, it's just an extrovert sociable person, confident and easy among others. Enviable.

Agree with 2sleepy that an introvert person can love to be among people , though maybe not in a crowd.
And true, extrovert-introvert is a very simplistic way to make a distinction.

Last edited by BranShea; 04/01/08 04:27 PM. Reason: typo's typo's everwhere
C
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
C
Extrovert is fine!

What if I want to add a little negative meaning to and make an extreme case of it, say the person is too far extrovert and Whenever there are persons out there, he/she just cannot stay alone in house any more?

\:\)

Do inform me if you see any corrections needed in my written English.
old hand
old hand
Okay, I found "hypersocial". There is a genetic disorder associated with this behavior called "William's syndrome". Others may suggest "hyperbored" (yes, I made that one up...) :0)

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,372
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 729 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith