About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
 Originally Posted By: callithump
What's the word to describe a person who likes to be with or before a crowd of people, e.g., one who likes to go where people gather or to go on a stage where a log of people watch.

This question is not totally clear to me.
You seem to want one word for two different things.

1.) Enjoying to be with a crowd is something quite different from enjoying to be before a crowd.
2.) To go where people gather or to go on stage where people watch you, are also two different things.

*A person can enjoy being in a crowd but be scared to death if he/she would have to face that crowd.
*A person can love to go where people gather but be too shy to ever go on stage and have people watching.

Some people may feel happy in both circumstances.
But then should the 'or ' in the question not be replaced by 'and ' ?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
wooing Ooh! I hope it turns out the way you want it to. ("turns out" means that some final conclusion has been reached: someone finds out that the illness is curable...or not; the new recipe worked, or failed; you and your current love will either decide to make a future together...or not.)

I've never heard of ochlophile. Gregarious is a good word for a person who enjoys being in a crowd of people and talking with them. "Ham" is a slang term for someone who enjoys being on a stage in front of people--though it usually refers to acting with great emotion, and not to someone who plays or sings music--unless they make exaggerated faces, etc. I can't think of a single word that covers all types; I would just refer to them as "a person who enjoys performing", or "loves to be up on stage".

Oh! Did you mean, perhaps, someone who loves to have peoples' attention on them, whether they can act/sing/dance well or not, or perhaps a child who misbehaves because any attention is better than no attention? The person who is certain that everyone at the party thinks his old jokes are hilarious? Someone who constantly refers to their: beautiful hair, expensive new car, or the fact that they do their work better than anyone else in the office?
This kind of person is a showoff. (Show-off; they like to show off their whatever.)

Good luck in your new job!

Edited the first ex., having realized it might give the wrong impression.

Last edited by Jackie; 03/31/08 08:33 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
J, ochlophile was meant to be a jochular counterpart to the earlier suggested ochlophob(e).

-ron o.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ah. Merci.

Edit: I never heard of ochlophobe, either! :-)

Last edited by Jackie; 03/31/08 08:34 PM.
old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: Jackie
[Oh! Did you mean, perhaps, someone who loves to have peoples' attention on them, whether they can act/sing/dance well or not, or perhaps a child who misbehaves because any attention is better than no attention? The person who is certain that everyone at the party thinks his old jokes are hilarious? Someone who constantly refers to their: beautiful hair, expensive new car, or the fact that they do their work better than anyone else in the office?
This kind of person is a showoff. (

No I think you're referring to a politician.

old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: Jackie
Ah. Merci.

Edit: I never heard of ochlophobe, either! :-)

From Greek ochlos meaning crowd and phobos fear.

I suppose you could also coin laophobe for someone afraid of people, from laos people.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
laophobe

Not to be confused with lalophobia.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
laophobe

Not to be confused with lalophobia.

...or lalaphobia, which is fear of the third teletubby ...

PS: zmjezhd - did you mean laleophobia/laliaphobia - fear of talking? Our daughter has the opposite - laleophilia.

Last edited by The Pook; 04/01/08 02:42 AM.
C
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
C
In my native language, there is a word literally meaning "Gone mad when people gathereed" to describe a person who will get excited when people gather around him and he tries to get attention by, say, performing.

Is there a english word for this?

Do inform me if you see any corrections needed in my written English.
C
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
C
\:\)

I'm not sure. I just saw the word in an article and used it here to try to show off my increasing glossary of English .

I checked again for its connotation. Maybe it turned out not the meaning i want.

Any way, just take fun at it. \:\) Thanks for your explanation..

Do inform me if you see any corrections needed in my written English.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,372
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 729 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith