About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: Zed
and for the record f* is not a grammatical marker indicating a noun!!

Sorry, Zed, where did "f*" come in? What does it mean? Can't "f---" be a noun or a verb, anyway? Confused here (or maybe it's just been a long day, LOL!) :0)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
my next sister (younger) was a late speaker, (age 3 almost) and spoke in sentences.. her first?

You G*d damned kids!

(i think nothing of using common vulgar words, (sh*t, f*ck, etc) that are generally avoided here.. but i really object to profanity (there is a commandment not to take the lords name in vain--but even G*d told the the devil "Go to hell!")

I always find it strange that the christian right in this country gets all up in arms when a bit of breast makes it on to TV, or when some one uses an earth vulgar word, but no objects to prize winners, (or what ever) saying "oh my G*d (i won a million dollars)...

my kids were taught some words were outside words (outside the house, outside of school, outside the car) --(mostly the vulgar words)

after my childhood, i decided not to use profanity, and while i generally limit my use of vulgar--i find vulgar less objectionable than profanity (and yes, i know, now days, vulgar is considered profanity.. but i think there is a difference..

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
 Originally Posted By: twosleepy
 Originally Posted By: Zed
and for the record f* is not a grammatical marker indicating a noun!!

Sorry, Zed, where did "f*" come in? What does it mean? Can't "f---" be a noun or a verb, anyway? Confused here (or maybe it's just been a long day, LOL!) :0)

I believe she's referring to the participle-as-adjective. ;-)

Oh, and don't get me wrong, two, I cuss like a sailor (not only because I'm married to one) in private company. It's just that "sucks" to my ears is almost as bad as the others, yet used all the time by kids today who have no idea, probably, of its provenance (did you have time to read the article?)

old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: AnnaStrophic
It's just that "sucks" to my ears is almost as bad as the others, yet used all the time by kids today who have no idea, probably, of its provenance (did you have time to read the article?)

Yes, I did, but it didn't say to me that oral sex was the origin, but I interpreted his remark differently.

Originally Posted By: NPR
"There is an assumption that 'sucks' was a reference to oral sex," explains Jesse Sheidlower, editor-at-large of the Oxford English Dictionary. Some scholars debate this, but Sheidlower says perception is what matters. {emphases added}

So he isn't splaining that that IS what it means, just that it's what many think it means, even if it doesn't!

Originally Posted By: NPR
"Suck" [b]may sound edgy or obnoxious to middle-aged ears, but parents may be at a loss to explain why it's a bad word, especially to an 8- or 9-year-old. "It brings up a conversation you might not want to have right now," says Sheidlower.

Herein lies your discomfort, I believe. "Suck" sounds, spells and spits out much like its brother, "f-ck". I think that, more than what the derivation may be, is why it bothers your ears!

I found this interesting discussion on another site, which offers several alternative derivations which seem plausible: http://www.tfproject.org/tfp/archive/index.php/t-5628.html :0)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
participle-as-adjective

It's an intensifier, like very from truthily, another word that has been drained of any meaning. I heard it heading in to work, and enjoyed it. I discovered as a child that one could curse in a foreign language and not upset the anglophone elders of the tribe. And I learned all the juicy vocabulary from my dear, old grandma, in Ligurian, Ponente brand.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
 Originally Posted By: of troy
(there is a commandment not to take the lords name in vain--but even G*d told the the devil "Go to hell!")

Technically, God isn't his name any more than human is mine. His name is יהוה and that isn't even his name, that's just the consonants in his name.

Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
I don't object to hearing His name in vain for the same reason I don't object to any of the common vulgar words. The speaker swears at you instead of to or in front of you. Not an improvement in my opinion.
My grammatical objection was to the use of f--- in front of every noun in a given sentence as if to mark the nouns rather than as a word with a meaning, however vulgar.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
His name is יהוה and that isn't even his name

OK, have it ya way ...

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: of troy
(i think nothing of using common vulgar words, (sh*t, f*ck, etc) that are generally avoided here.. but i really object to profanity (there is a commandment not to take the lords name in vain--but even G*d told the the devil "Go to hell!")
I always find it strange that the christian right in this country gets all up in arms when a bit of breast makes it on to TV, or when some one uses an earth vulgar word, but no objects to prize winners, (or what ever) saying "oh my G*d (i won a million dollars)...

Like you, people using vulgarity doesn't bother me much (except when it's obviously intended to be offensive, or in front of children). It's actually etymologically a snobby thing - the words describing various bodily parts and functions that became impolite are the good old ordinary anglo-saxon/Old English words for those things, whilst the 'acceptable' equivalents like faeces, copulate, etc are Latin and French - the languages of academia and nobility.
However, like you, I object more to profanity/blasphemy. Not so much people saying "God" since that means so many things to so many people and I figure they are just blaspheming their own god, whatever that may be, not the God I worship. Using 'Jesus' or 'Christ' as a swear word, however, is specifically offensive to Christian belief, and annoys me more.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Zed:
 Quote:

Tho' I'm not sure that claiming "we don't say that word" is helpful 5 seconds after you have just said it.

No , that is leading straight towards something else: hypocracy.

I think this is a good line of considering the subject:
(from the article)
"I would be much quicker to jump on my kid for saying an unkind thing," says Pekkanen, "even if he used perfect language to do so."

Though in spite of Socrates's wonderful pricinciple never to do harm to anyone knowingly, there are limits to our knowledge of what may be harmfull to someone else.
As we can't look into the souls of our fellow mankind.

* Thanks y'all in the course of this conversation for explaining to me the "supposed" origin of the word 'sucks'.

Faldage:
 Quote:
Technically, God isn't his name any more than human is mine. His name is יהוה and that isn't even his name, that's just the consonants in his name.

Agree with that.Though I see no point in using any of someone elses God/Gods idly.

Last edited by BranShea; 03/28/08 07:44 AM.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,351
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 775 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,549
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith