Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#174167 02/29/08 09:41 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran

Video of an autist communicating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnylM1...

No idea what to think of it.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Unless I'm mistaken on what an autist is, what the link goes to has changed. It's inviting me to watch an ad for a movie, or to pick one of a handful of offerings, none of which seems relevant.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Your link gives the " general page ". If you can still find the item I think you should take the link after you have opened the item, or while it is playing.

addict
addict
This thread has also gone back in time. Where are the posts about facilitated communication, etc.?

Hydra #174231 03/05/08 06:49 AM
old hand
old hand
Yes we were talking about what communication is, communing with nature, and all sorts of other useless and interesting things...

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
damn. we lost some good stuff here.

formerly known as etaoin...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Re: "In my language" [Re: BranShea]
TheFallibleFiend TheFallibleFiend
old hand

Loc: Virginia, USA Let me try this again:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnylM1hI2jc

#174253 - Yesterday at 10:38 AM Re: "In my language" [Re: TheFallibleFiend]
etaoin etaoin
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont wow.

this just stuns me into recognition of the work that Oliver Sacks and others are doing around neurological development. from my totally non-scientific place, it seems that somewhere along the line, a basic aspect of human brain development that is depressed in "normal" humans, to make it possible for us to live in groups, etc., doesn't get shutdown in autistic people. Sacks writes of several things that are present in all infants, that for sake of social/life reasons are "unevolved" (my word) as we get older.

fascinating.

#174256 - Yesterday at 11:43 AM Re: "In my language" [Re: etaoin]
Hydra Hydra
addict

It's incredible, so long as facilitated communication hasn't had a hand in it, which is always difficult to rule out.

#174257 - Yesterday at 11:45 AM Re: "In my language" [Re: Hydra]
TheFallibleFiend TheFallibleFiend
old hand

Loc: Virginia, USA
"so long as facilitated communication hasn't had a hand in it"

The thought occurred to me. It's not clear by what method the textual translation occurs. On one part we see her doing something on a keyboard, but it's not clear what's happening in that instance.

#174282 - Yesterday at 07:39 PM Re: "In my language" [Re: TheFallibleFiend]
olly olly
enthusiast

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
Originally Posted By: TheFallibleFiend

"so long as facilitated communication hasn't had a hand in it"

The thought occurred to me. It's not clear by what method the textual translation occurs. On one part we see her doing something on a keyboard, but it's not clear what's happening in that instance.

Almost too well put together. The use of video communication is something that is not alien or incomprehensible to many. The story was well told and obviously thought went into editing, sound and graphics. Having said that, the message was loud and clear and communicated a common misconception about people with not only mental, but also physical and social disabilities. A bit of an eye opener for me.

#174285 - Yesterday at 09:11 PM Re: "In my language" [Re: olly]
Jackie Jackie Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky Hmm. Non-communicative? Hmm. Is it communication if you're expressing yourself in a way or ways that no one around you can understand? For ex., if I went to a place where no one understood English NOR any body language I came up with, would I be "non-communicative"?
I tend to think of non-communicative as making no attempt to communicate with others. I also have serious doubt that interacting with your environment--that is, handling inanimate objects--is communication, barring some special circumstances. [getting close to the If a tree falls in a forest question e]

I guess I'm thinking pretty strictly of inter-human, or possibly human-animal, communication. I've heard the expression "commune with nature"; and we have at least a couple of painters on Board--I may be speaking out of turn for them, but I will presume that they derive things from their paint(ings): that certain paints "give" certain feelings, for ex., and that different types of brush strokes give different impressions, etc. But--and I do know that people say that paint, or stone, etc., speaks to them--I still don't think these objects are communicating with the artists.

#174292 - 9 minutes 56 seconds ago Re: "In my language" [Re: Jackie]
The Pook The Pook
journeyman

Loc: Tasmania
Originally Posted By: Jackie
Hmm. Non-communicative? Hmm. Is it communication if you're expressing yourself in a way or ways that no one around you can understand? For ex., if I went to a place where no one understood English NOR any body language I came up with, would I be "non-communicative"?
I tend to think of non-communicative as making no attempt to communicate with others. I also have serious doubt that interacting with your environment--that is, handling inanimate objects--is communication, barring some special circumstances. [getting close to the If a tree falls in a forest question e]

I guess I'm thinking pretty strictly of inter-human, or possibly human-animal, communication. I've heard the expression "commune with nature"; and we have at least a couple of painters on Board--I may be speaking out of turn for them, but I will presume that they derive things from their paint(ings): that certain paints "give" certain feelings, for ex., and that different types of brush strokes give different impressions, etc. But--and I do know that people say that paint, or stone, etc., speaks to them--I still don't think these objects are communicating with the artists.

Communication requires sentience or at least higher animal intelligence. A rock is not communicating with you even if you think it is beautiful. That's just you reacting to it and responding emotionally. "Communing with nature" is just a figure of speech. Besides, the word "commune" doesn't imply communication, that is, propositional transfer of information. It is a far broader term, meaning literally 'unite with' or 'in union with.' This may be a mystical union that has nothing to do with communicating.

It's a moot point as to whether the word 'communication' implies mutuality as well - that is, whether it is a two way process.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
cool. that's most of it. how'd you do that? wayback machine?

formerly known as etaoin...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I googled "communing with nature" +wordsmith, and used the cache version.

I don't think the wayback machine works that quickly, but I could give it a try..

edit: yep, the WM only(?) has "Search Results for Aug 01, 2000 - Sep 07, 2007."

Last edited by tsuwm; 03/05/08 03:33 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I just read the WM FAQ..

Why are there no recent archives in the Wayback Machine?

It generally takes 6 months or more for pages to appear in the Wayback Machine after they are collected, because of delays in transferring material to long-term storage and indexing.

and..

If you have Javascript turned off, images and links will be from the live web, not from our archive of old Web files.[!]

and, wow..

The Internet Archive Wayback Machine contains almost 2 petabytes of data and is currently growing at a rate of 20 terabytes per month. This eclipses the amount of text contained in the world's largest libraries, including the Library of Congress.

Last edited by tsuwm; 03/05/08 03:32 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,351
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 775 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,549
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith