Next Thread
Print Thread
#173251 02/07/08 03:22 AM
C
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
having been asked recently to coin a word for a mutual friend with the questionable habit of falling asleep on the toilet, we settled on the term 'somnexudator', modelled on somnambulator, for one who defecates in their sleep

Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
Somebody needs to get more sleep, preferably while laying down.
Has your friend ever fallen off?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
linguistically, it's not the best -- the Latin root is sudare meaning to sweat...

edit: somnifecator?

Last edited by tsuwm; 02/07/08 03:53 AM.
P
P
'Nocturnal encopresis' is the psychiatric term for the involuntary passing of feces during sleep for no known physiological reason. Same term with 'enuresis' applies to bedwetting.

Your friend is actually falling asleep on the toilet, not passing out? Passing out while defecating is actually quite common, but sleeping...I can't say I've ever heard of that. Is your friend on sleep meds?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Nocturnal encopresis

From Greek εν- en-) 'in, within' + κοπρος (kopros) 'extrement; filth' + ISV -sis suffix denoting 'state, condition'. For toilet, the closest Greek word I know of is αφεδρων (aphedrōn) 'privy' < απ(ο)- (ap-) 'from, away' + εδρα (hedra) 'place to sit', which is probably soldiers' slang and occurs once in Matthew 15:17 ("Do not ye yet understand, that whatsoever entereth in at the mouth goeth into the belly, and is cast out into the draught?"). 'To fall sleep' is κοιμαω (koima) and επικοιμαομαι (epikoimaomai) 'to fall sleep after or over (a thing)', so how about: epicoemaphedronesis?

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
zmjezhd #173259 02/07/08 12:12 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
epicoemaphedronesis vs. somnifecator

hmm.

formerly known as etaoin...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
somnifecator

Well, 'to shit' in Latin was caco (-are, -avi, -atus[/i]). Feces is from fæx, fæces, 'dregs, lees' and was a Medieval euphemism for stercus, stercoris, or merda, merdæ, 'shit'. I suppose if you want you could have somnicacator ...

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
zmjezhd #173263 02/07/08 04:18 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
Cast: I'm surprised that Jackie let you get away with this one. When I suggested that switching from prescriptivism to de- was something like lying down and spreading your cheeks she insisted I delete my post, whereupon I complied. But of course I was making reference to the facial orifice

Sorry Jackie, no offense--just kidding

dalehileman
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Originally Posted By: Porcupine
'Nocturnal encopresis' is the psychiatric term for the involuntary passing of feces during sleep for no known physiological reason. Same term with 'enuresis' applies to bedwetting.

Your friend is actually falling asleep on the toilet, not passing out? Passing out while defecating is actually quite common, but sleeping...I can't say I've ever heard of that. Is your friend on sleep meds?

'Nocturnal encopresis' Wouldn't is simply be called fecal incontinence?

P
P
I think fecal incontinence would imply that there is a known physiological cause. Or perhaps they are synonymous, I don't know. Nocturnal would imply that it only happens at night, and if one could control bodily function during the day but not while sleeping for no valid physiological reason, they wouldn't truly be incontinent. Maybe. Maybe psychiatry just likes to assert itself by refusing to borrow terms from general medicine.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,271
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 397 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,502
LukeJavan8 9,915
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith