Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#170149 09/23/07 10:49 AM
Hydra Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
According to The Encyclopaedia of Hell (1998) agrippas (named after Heinrich Cornelius Agrippa) are "huge volumes, usually more than five feed tall, with pages made of human skin. Each contains the names of all known demons and lists spells for conjuring up fiends. [...] The books themselves are considered living things and must be handled very carefully to avoid provoking an angry spirit" etc.

The Encyclopaedia of Hell is quite honestly a dreadful pulp-paper piece of pablum full of mistakes and inaccuracies written in a kind of breathless tabloidese... But... were very large spellbooks ever called agrippas? Is it possible Miriam van Scott (author) is misinformed... or just making it up?

It's not in the dictionary. Wiki's got nothing.

Hydra #170150 09/23/07 10:55 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Agrippa |əˈgripə|
Agrippa, Marcus Vipsanius(63–12 bc), Roman general. Augustus's adviser and son-in-law, he played an important part in the naval victories over Mark Antony.

formerly known as etaoin...
Hydra Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
I don't quite understand what you're getting at etaoin. Did you read my post?

Hydra #170152 09/23/07 11:01 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: Hydra
I don't quite understand what you're getting at etaoin. Did you read my post?

I'm not getting at anything. and of course I read your post. I read every single post on the forum. it's just the Agrippa that I have heard of.

> named after Heinrich Cornelius Agrippa

is this better?

formerly known as etaoin...
Hydra #170154 09/23/07 02:45 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It's hard to say when the book doesn't give any references. (I looked at the entry on Google Books.) You'd've thought somebody besides M. van Scott would've mentioned these big old books being called agrippas. She probably just made it up. Is it supposed to be in English books? I looked at large online German (Grimms) and French (Treŕsor) dictionaries but found nothing.

[Addendum: While googling about on this topic I came across the term for binding books in human skin: anthropodermic bibliopegy. Top two results: the Wikipedia article on the topic and an article, much linked to on the web, of books in some university libraries.]

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
T
veteran
veteran
T
Quote:
Amazon to sell world's largest book
written by Robert McMillan (abridged) (2004)

If you've got $10,000 to spare and know someone with an extremely large bookshelf, you may be in for some interesting holiday shopping this December on Amazon.com.

The online retailer plans to sell a massive 100 page book printed on seven foot by five foot pages, according to Michael Hawley, a director of special projects at MIT who is publishing the book as fund raising exercise for a non-profit company he founded called Friendly Planet.

Hawley said he had signed up Amazon to "promote the hell" out of the book by contacting Amazon's chief executive Jeff Bezos at Amazon and said, "Now you really can be the world's largest bookseller." Hawley said.

The book, titled "Growing up in Bhutan " will be published using a Hewlett-Packard DesignJet 5500, a large format printer sometimes used for fine art projects. The book will feature photographs of the country and people of Bhutan, a tiny Himalayan nation of 600,000 best known for waiting until 1999 to officially adopt television.

The book's photographs were taken by teams of MIT and Friendly Planet photographers who visited Bhutan in 2002 while experimenting with ways to combine digital imaging and global positioning system technology.

Each book will be made from four 100-foot long rolls of 5-foot wide paper which are then folded like an accordion. Tabs will be inserted into the rolls at seven foot intervals and those tabs will then be stitched into the book's binding. Just printing the images on the four rolls of paper will take about 25 hours, according to Hawley.

The book was partially inspired by Audubon's "The Birds of America," which at two and one half foot square is the largest book in the Library of Congress. Only 175 copies of Audubon's book were published between 1826 and 1838, but it sold for $1,000 -- a princely sum at the time.

"I thought, well, maybe we could sell copies of the world's largest book for $10,000 per copy," Hawley said. "If we were to sell 500 copies, that would raise more than $4 million."

Hawley has contacted the publishers of the Guinness Book of World Records, and confirmed that his book will, in fact, be the largest book in the world, a finding that pleased the book's binding company, Acme Bookbinding of Charleston.

"I walked in with this huge thing and they just about peed in their pants," Hawley said. "They'd never seen anything like it."

Hydra Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Well, it's a good start, but to graduate to an agrippa it also has to be bound with human skin, contain the names of all the demons, list spells, and possess an angry spirit.

Hydra Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
(According to van Scott, that is. But her name has not yet been cleared. It is possible she has "a good imagination for facts" as they say).

zmjezhd #170163 09/24/07 04:40 AM
Hydra Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Quote:
RE: anthropodermic bibliopegy.

Wow. That's incredible... and incredibly creepy.

D
stranger
stranger
D
Damn. I want me a seven foot tall book. If only to watch my father, who decorates his house with framed prints from old books he finds, faint from bookgasm.

D
stranger
stranger
D
Five foot, that is

I was actually more interested in the idea of a tome that was bigger than myself. Like the IMAX of books-- Surround Read. Never mind, They can keep their puny book.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Surround Read Cool! Welcome, Darmatage.

Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
Just don't fall asleep while reading or you may get squished.

stranger
stranger
Agrippas eh? It sort of sounds like Evil Dead's Necronomicon ex Mortis. I have a feeling that the author of this Encyclopedia of Hell had just recently read through Frankenstein and conjured connections between Cornelius Agrippa and demonic alchemical writings. So the author sort of felt like Agrippa is to spellbooks what John Crapper is to toilets

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,347
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (wofahulicodoc), 769 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,548
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith