Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It depends on what one means by the term Celt or Celtic. For linguists, the term Celts means speakers of one of the Celtic languages, either living (Irish, Scottish Gaelic, Manx, Welsh, Breton) or extinct (Cornish, Gaulish, Celtiberian, Lepontic, Galatian). These languages are or were located in the British Isles, northern Italy, France, Belgium, and the Iberian peninsula. Galatian was the one outlier in Asia Minor, but there is a controversy about whether the Celts there immigrated from west to east or east to west. Celt as an ethnic term is one used (borrowed or coined) by the ancient Greeks and Romans, and though based on contact with actual people, who may or may not have spoken a Celtic language, soon become something of a synonym for barbarian. The term in archeology is associated with a wide-spread (in Europe that is) collection of cultural artifacts (La Tène, Hallstatt, etc.) that may or may not have been produced by Celtic-speaking peoples. It is this identification of certain iron-age and bronze-age cultures that is coming under scrutiny in the books I mentioned in my previous posting to this thread.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Thanks ZM for bringing up the words "La Tène" and "Hallstatt" . Brings back our impressive Art history teacher:the great Mrs. Giacometti. Who took us from there through the ages of European Art. Juggling casually with migrating populations. She always wore a turban. What it stood for or hid none of us ever knew. Jokes and guesses.
She motherly invited first year male students who looked interesting and slightly underfed to plates of oatmeal porridge.
(No, let the dirty mind lobes sleep), that's all there was to it.
Oatmeal must be good, they got remarkably good marks.

(I've noted your book recommends)

Jackie #169702 08/27/07 05:05 AM
M
stranger
stranger
M
After a lifetime of using "normal" scissors left-handedly, I bought left-handed ones and found I couldn't use them. I was too ingrained in the weird (and painful) twisted way one needs to hold "normal" ones.
I was the only 'corrie-fisted' one in our church badminton club, so although they were accustomed to the different style of a left-hander, I wasn't. Until the team began visiting other clubs and I met my first 'cack-handed' opponent and was demolished.

Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I bought left-handed ones and found I couldn't use them Oh, dear. [shaking head e]
You're in Scotland? Cool, and welcome aBoard! Wave to jmh up (down? over?) in Edinburgh for me.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,331
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 802 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith