#168449 05/27/07 05:02 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Headline, Victorville CA Daily Press

SCLA a player in electric jet engine

If a phrase can be misinterpreted, as a former prescriptivist I will misinterpret it. My first reaction was that an electric engine had been developed to power a jet

...especially after reading, "As Boeing begins assembling its electrically powered Dreamliner 787..." Of course I shortly dismissed the idea, owing to the prohibitive mass of the required battery

SCLA, incidentally, means Southern California Logistics Airport, not Sex-Crazed Los Angeles

It is of course an advanced engine, but I'm sure it uses conventional fuel. The aircraft was called "electric" thanks to high-tech electrical bells and whistles such as LED cabin lighting

Owing to space limitations a headline can often convey a mistaken impression. But would anyone else have had the same reaction

dalehileman
old hand
old hand
Electric Jet Engine! Perhaps they have a windmill on top of the plane which perpetually generates electricity. The faster the plane goes, the faster the windmill spins, the faster the planes goes. what a drag eh?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
yeah, or it could be that the headline guy misinterpreted General Electric jet engine..

addict
addict
Quote:
Electric Jet Engine! Perhaps they have a windmill on top of the plane which perpetually generates electricity. The faster the plane goes, the faster the windmill spins, the faster the planes goes. what a drag eh?

It would not be a very pratical means of getting from A to B, however. According to my Acme Guide to Autocatalytic Motive Systems, the exponential increase in the speed of windmill powered electric jet engines eventually breaches the speed of light, launching the aircraft into parallel dimensions whence they never return.

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
SCLA a player in electric jet engine

Read quickly - SCLA man inside a jet engine, playing

Last edited by wow; 05/29/07 08:31 PM.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,378
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (wofahulicodoc), 294 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,566
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith