Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Even if Global Warming is not caused by us I find last week's news, that even before 2050 (2040) the Arctic ice may already have disappeared, rather disquieting. This news comes from the National Center for Atmospheric Research in Colorado. After they reanalyzed the matter.It was published in Geographical Research Letters last week.

NCfAR

Even if it is not our "fault" I cannot imagine our children and grandchildren to live in a world that in our collective memory has always been a globe with two ice caps

Last edited by BranShea; 05/03/07 11:08 AM.
T
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
T
Henny Penny was a good granny until one day a blog fell from the Internet and hit her like a brick and rearranged her once good head.

"Help!" she cried,"The sky is falling, the icecaps are melting; quick, Ginny darling, go to your room and hide under the bed!"

"Gee Granny" said Ginny, "Nice trick. I've never seen a grandma run about like a chicken with its head cut off and yet still yell silly stuff to little kids."

"Iszatso, miss precocious...I mean, miss precious, my least best progeny; well sister, get a load of this... NCfAR"

"Aw, grandma, that ain't science. Wait! I'll dab some white paint on the North Pole and...fixed."

"Listen, Serpents Egg; it's time to listen to the learned of this generation. You are but six years and they are professors, and whatever they profess you are going to believe, and what they believe (at this time) is that the Northern Ice Cap will be gone by the time you are fifty if you don't change your evil and wasteful ways...get it?"

"I don't give a filbert, Grandmother. I plan to live on Mars where terra forming is big. Imagine, a whole planet built to please far traveling mankind"

"OK, that's it! March yourself upstairs and go sit in a corner and stare at your navel. You'll not be fed until you openly confess your guilt in polluting this planet. Then, after you have learned to think like others around you, you will once again be allowed to join the good people in preventing the bad men amongst us from reaching the stars and poisoning the good planet Earth"

The End.

Last edited by themilum; 05/05/07 01:07 AM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
in more recent news, it's even sooner than that!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The End (continued)

Ginny did as she was told , went upstairs and stared . Her navel told that after all she knew better than her old ignorant granny Henny Penny.
She grew up trusting the sympathetic cock-a-doodle-doos who held conferences and published nice reassuring reports that made Ginny Pinny feel safe and secure.They told the world :"Keep driving folks! Keep driving..."

Twenty years later she had two six year old of her own, a twin boy and girl. One day she suddenly told them:
"Go pack your things and be ready within the hour."---"What for?" they asked.
"We're moving to Mars, it's chicken run time ", their mother replied. ---"Why?"
"THEY made some small miscalculations. BIG CHICKEN CHOKING is coming up sooner than expected."
"What's BIG CHOKING?" ---"All living things dying."
"Who are THEY?" the kids asked.
"Them who know everything better", Ginny answered.

"Will the kids next door come too?"
"No ", their mother said ,"They didn't fulfill their carbon duties to keep Economy healthy for years.They are not among the chosen ones.
"And daddy?". " Never you mind, he's busy getting the cars on the flight, He'll get there."

"What's Mars like" the little boy asked.
"Red, what I know of and dusty", said mom.
"Can we bring out swimming stuff?"
"Sure.... do! We don't yet know if there will be any water, but never you mind now, hurry!and trust me.
THEY 'll know what to do"

T
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
T
My, you are the clever one, BranShea. You tit for my tat quite well. How about a friendly bet? I'll bet you two thousand euros (payable in American dollars) that on the fourth of July, in the year Two-thousand-forty-seven (European notation) the North Pole will be covered by more ice and snow than it is now. Deal?

But be warned. My brains have Extra Polar Perception.

Last edited by themilum; 05/05/07 04:14 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Presentimental premonition tells me that in the year 2047 two thousand euros (payable in American dollars)will have approx.the value of a jar of peanut butter. You can't mean I'll have to take the tatting trouble to become over a hundred years old for the possible chance of winning a jar of peanut butter?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
You could always take the bet, but demand payment in euros or Chinese yuan.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
but demand payment in euros or Chinese yuan

Best to ask for a barrel (159 L) of oil. By 2047, it'll be priceless. Alternately, you could ask for a hour's worth of AC. Hard to say which will be costlier.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
T
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
T
Before waking his morning I had a vision.

On the porch of a dingy house I saw Faldage, zmjezhd, and BranShea, sitting in heavy, hand-hewn, wooden chairs contemplating their navels. My young friends and I laughed and we drove by in our own upholstered flying chairs that had no wheels and no engine and needed no fuel.

"The sky is falling, get a horse!" We shouted.

But being a kindly sort, I couldn't help but feel a tinge of sadness for my old, old, old, friends who somewhere along the way had forgotten that life is dynamic and swell.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
A dream, Them i l o ,those are called dreams before you wake up.
And your young friends were laughing , because they knew well enough that when the sky falls it falls on flying as well as on grounded things alike.
The sky will never fall. That's a song and songs don't lie.

I don't bet for money in whatever valuta nor for oil or AC. What would a bike addict do with a barrel of oil? And what use is a AC when you are out riding a bike? Thanks for the advise anyway but no...
No, a jar of peanut butter , well adressed and properly mailed would be fine.

Last edited by BranShea; 05/06/07 03:08 PM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,330
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,577 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,541
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith