About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
wondered why it didn't show up in OneLook

'Cause it indexes English language dictionaries? For Dutch, I use Woordenboek der Nederlandsche Taal. For French, Le Trésor de la Langue Française Informatisé. For German, Das Deutsche Wörterbuch von Jacob und Wilhelm Grimm. There excellent, largish national dictionaries of the languages in question and nothing quite beats an unabridged, historical, monolingual dictionary which also happens to be online. For Sanskrit, Monier-Williams' Sanskrit-English Dictionary is online, too.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Hey!special!ZjM. I checked the brothers on Wikipedia. Never knew that the brothers Grimm of the gruwesome fairytales did a Dictionary that apparantly still is useful.

By the way, one of the other famous fairytale collectors, Hans Christian Andersen wrote the fairy tale that associates well with the original subject of this tread :

The Emperor's new Clothes

Often this fairy tale is used as a methaphor for art that everybody gives praise to, but is doubtful in it's integrety.

Last edited by BranShea; 05/01/07 10:10 AM.
BranShea #167938 05/01/07 12:21 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The Emperor's New Clothes is a wonderful, and ever-apt story.

More on the Grimms and their consonant-shift theory can be found here.

(not to be confused with the Great Vowel Movement)

AnnaStrophic #167944 05/01/07 01:21 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Thank you for this educational piece of Proto-Indo-European PIE.
I will find time to digest it.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Hans Christian Andersen

Yes, it is interesting how many famous linguists have been Danish, e.g., Rasmus Rask (one of the first Indo-Europeanists), Karl Verner (of Verner's Law fame, second only to Grimm's Law), Otto Jespersen (not the present-day comedian), Louis Hjelmslev (of Glossematics fame), and Holger Pedersen (who wrote a great History of 19th century linguistics). Jespersen wrote one of the finest historical grammars of Modern English in 7 volumes (still in print). Another great English grammarian is the Dutch linguist, Hendrik Poutsma, A grammar of late modern English. While, I, like many others, enjoyed the tale of The Emperor's New CLothing, I have always liked The Tinder Box better.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Oh me too! i had as a child very few books (that i owned) our entire library in the house was a 3 foot by 3 foot bookcase.
(i always lived in walking distance of excellent libraries and made extensive use)

One book i owned was a collection of HCA fairytales complete with some 16 or so 'color plates' (a term that confused me as a child.. Plate went on the dinner table , these were illustrations!)

i was never read to as child but i learned to read to myself.
the shortest story in the book, The Swineherders Daughter, took 1 page, (and was the first one i read) the last story i read (i was in my teens) was The Snow Queen (it was 30 something pages long)

But i love the tinder box (and remembered when, age 8, in ireland i saw a 'round towers' since that was not a point of reference in my NYC urban life (mill stone weren't much either, but i had been taken to restoration villages, and had at least seen a mill stone)

i don't know what happened to the book (my parents might have it yet) but it was wonderful book

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Code:
   Myridon
"Talking about art is like dancing about architecture."
- Laurie Anderson quoting Frank Zappa 

Oskar Schlemmer, a leading artist from the Bauhaus movement in Dessau (interbellum) did the dancing about architecture ( made the ballet) and alas, the drawing called 'ambulant architecture'
is not to be found on internet.

Triadische Ballet

It can be done.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Oh me too!

I've been trying to remember where I read my first HCA tales. I can remember some of the illustrations, complicated 19th century engraved affairs, but not the book. It may have been a generic reader ... I also had a piece of embroidery that my Danish aunt made for me while I was still in grade school. It pictured HCA's house in Odense and some scenes from 8 or so of his tales.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The HCA tales are more to my liking then the Grimm's tales. Maybe your book had the Arthur Rackham illustrations ? Must be able to find him on WiKip . The Tinder Box. Is that the one with the soldier and the dogs? : one with the eyes as big as saucers, the next with the eyes as big as ? and the third one with eyes as big as ? .
(I forgot)Anyway each one getting bigger (':') (o:o) ( O:O) ?

Last edited by BranShea; 05/02/07 05:02 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
hint, hint, look at top of post and see Heading.
eyes as big as saucers, or millstones, or the round tower.

(i was often told as a child that my eyes were as big as saucers--and sometimes its still true!)

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,331
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 824 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith