Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I have been upset all day, hearing report after report from Virginia Tech. I had to call both my kids, just to hear them tell me they were okay. (Neither of them goes there, but.) Even if they lived at home and went to U of L, who's to stop some maniac from going onto that campus? I'd like to bring them both home and keep them locked in their rooms for the rest of my natural life.

old hand
old hand

Take comfort Jackie from What we still have

kua wairangi te hinengaro
he ataahua tonu te whenua

When the mind is misery
The land is still beautiful

I empathise.

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
32 murders of course tragic but three times that number are slaughtered in Iraq every day

dalehileman
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
This event has special significance for me: both my kids are away at college. One is a hundred miles away, the other, 600.

Thanks, olly--we do indeed have beautiful land.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Hadn't seen the news for two days. Saw just now.My sympathy, although that will bring no one back to friends and families and i will never understand such things. And can only be sad about it.

veteran
veteran
It's terrifying. You send your kids off to school and think they're safe. My kids think I'm a weirdo, but I never let them out of the house without telling them, "Don't forget Daddy loves you."

addict
addict
But with this event there is not such a distinction where it occurred that it could not have been somewhere else. Such a place having a separate police force could affect the outcome [not trying to cast blame] but the same sort of tragedy could happen almost anywhere, and has.

Γ╥┐↕
journeyman
journeyman
I know how you feel: back in 2001, my son left for college on September 13, 2 days after the plane crashes in New York and Washington. Life went on, but our need for connection and caring was sharply defined.

I am horrified by the rash of suicide/murders that have occurred over the past year. There were the shootings at the Amish school in Pennsylvania; then the terrible events that happened barely two months ago at Trolley Square, right here in Salt Lake City. Now, we hear about Virginia Tech. I know we cannot live our everyday lives in fear of the occasional lunatic with a gun. However, we cannot allow ourselves to become complacent either.
The repeated examples of killings, and suicide, both in the USA and in Iraq, are disturbing indeed.

T
veteran
veteran
T
Originally Posted By: pennyless

I am horrified by the rash of suicide/murders that have occurred over the past year. There were the shootings at the Amish school in Pennsylvania; then the terrible events that happened barely two months ago at Trolley Square, right here in Salt Lake City. Now, we hear about Virginia Tech. I know we cannot live our everyday lives in fear of the occasional lunatic with a gun. However, we cannot allow ourselves to become complacent either.
The repeated examples of killings, and suicide, both in the USA and in Iraq, are disturbing indeed.

Ah yes, pennyless. Do you have a point?

Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
Sometimes the point is to express what you feel.

Thank you Olly, when there is horror we need beauty more than ever.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,904
Posts227,900
Members9,145
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
gypsydancer, Astrostu, Chaske, ApophaticAxiom, Bilugo
9,145 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 108 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,785
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2021 Wordsmith