Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#167537 04/13/07 10:55 PM
H
OP Offline
H
tiddledies, choose one:

a) the small caps which lower over the upright columns supporting harp lamp shade holders.

b) a quick snort at the time the sun goes over the yardarm. "Care for a little tiddledies?"

c) intricate scrollwork and rosettes added in the latter stages of building of gothic cathedrals for the purpose of fine-tuning the acoustics.

d) knick-knacks, gewgaws, gimcracks; oddments

e) [from Eastern Papua New Guinean Pidgin English] obnoxious child

f) [Scots] Haggis droppings

g) a fun Mensa game much like tiddlywinks but played with dice.

h) glossy fringes and tassels

i) like Puck, a spirit of mischief (originally Lancastrian dialect).

j) [Old Norse] a practitioner of sleight-of-hand.

k) healthiness lasting into old age, from dialectal 'tid', meaning 'fresh' or 'tender', and OE 'eald', or oldness.

l) [<ME tydle + dye] chips used in a game that evolved into (modern form) 'tiddlywinks'

m) soft flexible ice or chunks of floating ice
_____

our entrants include themilum, shanks, ASp, Faldage, tsuwm, BranShea, olly, musick, Aramis, Sparteye, TEd, Curuinor, and the UAD*

* Unidentified Authorizing Dictionary

the hogmaster™
T
veteran
veteran
T
Boy hidlee, Bo Diddley, this contest ain't no contest if subjected to the sharp mind of a hip practitioner of the process of elimination, as follows...

a) the small caps which lower over the upright columns supporting harp lamp shade holders. ObviouslytED Once he ran a Hogwash where the answer was the name of an obscure screw inside the drawer of Victorian furniture.

b) a quick snort at the time the sun goes over the yardarm. "Care for a little tiddledies?" Faldage The boy likes to toss an occational drink and likes to toss about nautical terms like "yardarm".

c) intricate scrollwork and rosettes added in the latter stages of building of gothic cathedrals for the purpose of fine-tuning the acoustics. Musick! It's not like you to ramble on in such a coherent fashion. Stop it!

d) knick-knacks, gewgaws, gimcracks; oddments tsuwm obviously. If you have to ask why, then you need to re-enroll in Hogwash 101.

e) [from Eastern Papua New Guinean Pidgin English] obnoxious child Who else but Shanks

f) [Scots] Haggis droppings Aramis Although clever most times, at times he can be graphic.

h) glossy fringes and tassels Now, at last, O'happy day, we can eliminate the women: The woman in the glossy fringes and tassels is none other than [BranShea

i) like Puck, a spirit of mischief (originally Lancastrian dialect). Origional dialect my eye! Unlike Puck our spirit of mischief is a woman. Ain't it so AnnaStrophic!

j) [Old Norse] a practitioner of sleight-of-hand. Hold up your hand, Sparteye your slight of hand can't fool a hipster. Note now, hogsters, the last gaping gasp of the chicks.

k) healthiness lasting into old age, from dialectal 'tid', meaning 'fresh' or 'tender', and OE 'eald', or oldness. Ah ha! Now at last we get to a most believable construction. Great job, themilum

l) [<ME tydle + dye] chips used in a game that evolved into (modern form) 'tiddlywinks'

m) soft flexible ice or chunks of floating ice Oh goody, here Curuinor gives us a choice. Thanks Curuinor.

Ok Hogpeople, that leaves two...

or...

Vote now!

I trust you...you trust me...let us trust together.

Last edited by themilum; 04/14/07 02:31 AM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
If I am allowed to vote, ahem, then I must go for g, although h makes a lot of sense.

old hand
old hand

Hmm, yesh....an intereshting onshomble of delicushies I'll have a dollop of B, Shaken, never schtirred.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
e

formerly known as etaoin...
journeyman
journeyman
C for me. Even if it isn't the correct definition, there should be a word for that.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Bo Diddles, high practitioner of elimination, good homework! But I always go for the odds, be it coockies, animals or definitions. So --- d --- for me.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
As soon as I can stop laughing I'll cast my vote -- maybe tomorrow?

thanks, milo, for the good times

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I like D just for the string of related synonyms separated by commas and the one slightly off center addition set off by the semicolon. If it's a daffynition the perp gets points just for that little touch.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'll raise a carafe with olly and vote for "b" as well.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,337
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 709 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,544
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,917
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith