Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#145924 08/02/05 07:13 PM
tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jackie, our red-letter gal, has asked me to repost the Rules of Hogwash so that she can pin them for newbies.

this is harder than it looks, since we have been running full-tilt-amok for quite some time since last any rules were posted; but I am going to paste them in here and try to edit out all of the blatant rulishness.

to start, the moderator/hogmaster® posts a [really] obscure word and asks for definitions to be submitted via PM, usually within a se'nnight (seven nights). at that point the submittals are grouped into a post and polling proceeds. voting usually continues until all of the contributors have had a chance to vote, or until polls are arbitrarily closed by the hogmaster.

Scoring..
Rule A is: the points don't matter

[someone asks] Do those of us who contributed daffynitions get to vote? I was confused on this point by the first round. One gets to in Balderdash.

yes, in the normal course of the game only the contributors would vote. we've liberalized the rules to let everyone participate. my interpretation [has been that contributor votes count for more than onlooker votes]. here are the rules again, as amended to date:

1. [points are] given to each player for every vote (or guess) his phony definition receives.
2. points are awarded to each player who chooses the true meaning.
3. points are given to the moderator only if none of the players choose the true meaning.
4. [no] points are awarded to any player who submits a definition which is similar or very close to the correct meaning [rather, the moderator shall request a resubmittal]
5. If two or more players submit a definition per rule 4 (in the judgment of the moderator), the round will be thrown out with no points scored (or the moderator can disqualify obvious attempts to sabotage the game :-Ž )
6. A player may vote for her own definition but scores points only for those others she can bluff into also voting for that definition.. (i.e., you can't get a rule 1 point [voting for your own def'n!])

scoring, such as it is with points not mattering, is virtually at the whim of the moderator/hogmaster® [see latest round, e.g.]. whinging to the hogmaster, while encouraged, has been shown to be completely ineffectual.

there have been several hogmasters over the years.

#145925 10/05/05 01:46 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
up to the top again

T
veteran
veteran
T
Quote:
scoring, such as it is with points not mattering, is virtually at the whim of the moderator/hogmaster®

Sure thing, tsuwm, your nattering about not mattering is almost as as clear as Missisippi mud.

Why, I belittle myself to ask, can't we, the contestants, virtually score our own points?

H
H
Originally Posted By: themilum
Why, I belittle myself to ask, can't we, the contestants, virtually score our own points?

this is probly the easiest question ever, Milo.

without the (whimsical) scoring there'd be not much fun at all
for the hogmaster, I reckon.

the hogmaster™
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
to start, the moderator/hogmaster® posts a [really] obscure word and asks for definitions to be submitted via PM, usually within a se'nnight (seven nights

tsuwm, this gave a misunderstanding for someone who played the last one. He waited to be asked by PM for to send in his daf.

Maybe it could be : Hogmaster gives obscure word and players are expected to sent in their definitions by PM. Meself also waited long because I was expecting a sign to be given. Then I thought : Come on send it in anyway. The word asks can give misunderstanding for new ones to the game.

Last edited by BranShea; 03/20/07 07:47 AM.
old hand
old hand
Also, no peeking...!

J
stranger
stranger
J
SO . . . is there a hogwash round goin on now?

I'm new to the group but this sounds a whole lot like the game "dictionary" that we used to play.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Or either fictionary, one. I forget how we came to call it "hogwash." Welcome and got a word for us?

J
stranger
stranger
J
Well . . . I don't know what league I'm in. I myself am only a bushleaguer --- so this word might be too easy

plumbago

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Is a plant with pale blue little fowers.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,271
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 263 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,502
LukeJavan8 9,915
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith