Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#166601 03/07/07 07:59 PM
H
OP Offline
H
here are the results, with [submitter] voter(s); comments to follow..

a) a long marsh grass with razor sharp edges [consuelo] Owlbow, nightotter, shanks

b) Chiefly British an elision of "Wow, hilly, eh what?" [Jackie - "this time I decided to be plain silly."]

c) Algonquin word for a level of disagreement or dispute which could only be settled by a lacrosse game in which at least one player died; hence any life-and-death issue. [TEd]

d) a Malaysian riding crop; derived from riding crops brought over by polo-playing English and Scottish rulers in the nineteenth century. [shanks] ParkinT

e) Colloq., music a cup-shaped device manipulated at the flared end of a horn to alter the sound [Aramis] belMarduk, Jackie

f) Irish slang Support clothing for the male genitalia (aka 'jockstrap') [musick]

g) Aussie term for a young platypus [wofa]

h) Sc. a wheedling or insinuating person; a flattering deceiver. [OED] olly, BranShea, Aramis, Curuinor

i) the beauty of life as measured by the self. e.g. one's ability to sing, dance, strut, etc. (Navajo) [themilum] themilum (to trick you)

j) Sc. a temper tantrum, esp in a small child [ECreith] TEd

k) a children's toy popular during the heyday of Coney Island. It was shaped like an elaborate paper airplane and could be purchased for nickel. [nightotter]

l) a separate room set to the back of some stately homes for ablutions after particularly harrowing dinner parties. [olly] ASp ("I think I know who submitted it.")

m) a rare, endangered Hawaiian bird of the family Drepanididae, closely related to the ' I 'iwi or Scarlet Hawaiian Honeycreeper, more common but also shrinking in number. The Whillywha, as well as the ' I 'iwi, feeds on nectar. [BranShea]

n) an underground lake; source of water [belMarduk] wofa, ECreith, musick

o) Sc. to and fro [ASp] etaoin, Alex, Faldage

p) a night spirit of the Iroquoian peoples. [Faldage]

q) an Australian Desert Mound Spring. These springs have characteristic mounds which have been formed by the combined action of water, sand, silt and clay and the deposition of limestone from the upwelling groundwater. It can take 1.5 to 2 million years for water to travel from the recharge area to the discharge area of the springs. The water from these springs is regarded as fossil water. [Owlbow] ¿consuelo?

r) a Malaysian drain cleaner, or snake [tsuwm]

s) the exclamation made by a youngster, calling out to Willy Wonka, just as he slips into a raging river of chocolate. [ParkinT - "Not a serious entry, just a chance for a pun."]

congrats to veterans (and ladies [see milum's analysis]) consuelo, belMarduk and ASp, each of whom gulled three folks.

kudos to olly, BranShea, Aramis, Curuinor (all pretty much rookies) for ferreting out the real def'n.

themilum, per usual, voted for himself.

my analysis follows..

the hogmaster™
hogmaster #166602 03/07/07 08:02 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
zounds!

formerly known as etaoin...
hogmaster #166604 03/07/07 08:30 PM
addict
addict
Is this the smug face now? Wasn't there something in the rules about bonus points for fooling Jackie and getting the real definition at the same time? This was the best round ever.

hogmaster #166605 03/07/07 08:38 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
the hogmaster™ claims he has a headache from collating all that data and asked me to comment as I see fit, so here goes (you'll have to refer back to the voting thread for this to make sense):

a) if belMarduk had consistently carried out her analysis, she should also have eliminated the three Scots entries (as did wofa), thereby purging the correct answer too (as did wofa).

b) as to milum's analysis, he pretty much came out 50% (3 or 4 out of 7, and on the Big Ones, 2 of 4); and I challenge him to scold (or whatever) James Murray (first editor of OED).

c) some smug person posted, "it does sound Aussie but no way is any culture going to specify a 'young' platypus." I had to laugh at this since a homonym for our recent entry "puggle" is the name of the baby echidna (spiny ant eater) or baby platypus [when] they hatch out of the egg and move into the pouch to be suckled. and I confess that yet another homonym for puggle ([chiefly dial., freq. of pug (poke)] [v] to clear out or stir up by poking) led me directly to my (poor) bluff.

d) I really have no comment regarding the odd veterans vs. newbies results; I just thought it.. odd.

but hey! thanx to all of you for playing!!

Last edited by tsuwm; 03/07/07 08:39 PM.
tsuwm #166609 03/07/07 10:31 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
> d) I really have no comment regarding the odd veterans vs. . newbies results; I just thought it.. odd. <

All I can say about the oddity of the results is that I did not
make a good luck guess and did not do any analyzing (numbers)and played fair.
I could make this choice fairly quickly and was not a 100% sure, but round 80, as I am very attentive to what is said and may be meant, by what all of you say. You Tsuwm yourself were a big help by some words you said. In this case that worked. Next time everything will be different.
I don't know how Olly and Aramis came to their choice . Would be interesting to know that too.

hogmaster #166612 03/07/07 10:43 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>l) a separate room set to the back of some stately homes for ablutions after particularly harrowing dinner parties. [olly] ASp ("I think I know who submitted it.")

Boy, howdy, was I wrong. It sounded so belMarduk to me.

BranShea #166613 03/07/07 11:18 PM
old hand
old hand
and here are the definitions submitted by the cutting sex...
(l) "Harrowing dinner party"? Women retire to the whillywha; men get drunk.

Sorry Themilum, this newbie is a newboy.
Twas an exponential learner for moi and I watched and waited with bated breath exuding the patience of a well used chair.
My guess was a guess, it sounded like something you would call a person.
I'd hoped I wasn't that transparent Anna!

Last edited by olly; 03/07/07 11:20 PM.
olly #166629 03/08/07 06:30 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Quote:
the beauty of life as measured by the self. e.g. one's ability to sing, dance, strut, etc. (Navajo) [themilum]

Is there a word for that? I love that.

How about that Connie!? I voted for your grass, and you for my long journeying subterranean water course, and Rhode Island isn't even an island.

Thanks for this round HM and everyone else.

BranShea #166636 03/08/07 09:46 PM
addict
addict
Bel's a girlie?
The selection process is never so easy with such a pack of clever charlatans, but there are certain tip-offs.
This time there was a certain Aussieness or Scotness to the term, possibly vaguely reminiscent of something like 'billabong'. Testing it with various accents helps. Unlike peristalsis, the process of definition elimination can be bolstered by chipping away at the flaws, as in sculpture. For example: a) No grass is that sharp. b) Spelling- "eh what" should be "eh wot". c) Fatal lacrosse games fall in the low-credibility range. d) Malay polo did not catch on enough to promote specialized diction. e) Rule: Beware implements that resemble the business end of a 'plumber's helper'. f) Rule: Shun mention of unappealing anatomy. i) Navajo words usually sound like Navajo. j) Too creepy. k) Too elaborate. l) [see k)]. m) Too detailed. n) [See? With three hits this one was a winner]. o) Does not seem useful even in poetry. p) [See i)]. q) Too verbose for a dictionary. r) & s) Too funny.

Aramis #166639 03/08/07 11:50 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
acshully, Aramis, lacrosse was a deadly game when played "properly" and serious injuries and deaths were frequent.

"Early players concentrated on first injuring their opponents with their sticks, and then moving easily to the goal. Games could be played on a pitch over a mile wide and sometimes lasted for days. Often players were gravely injured or even killed. Early balls were made out of the heads of the enemy, deerskin, clay, stone, and sometimes wood. Lacrosse has played a significant role in the community and religious life of tribes across the continent for many years. Early lacrosse was characterized by deep spiritual involvement, befitting the spirit of combat in which it was undertaken. Those who took part did so in the role of warriors, with the goal of bringing glory and honor to themselves and their tribes, and as a religious ritual[7]. The game was said to be played 'for the pleasure of the Creator.'"

I read somewhere that the way the Indians played the game there were no boundaries, with games rambling around over several square miles, though that's not reflected in the wikipedia excerpt above. And it was frequently used as a combat to settle disputes.

TEd
Aramis #166656 03/09/07 04:10 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Originally Posted By: Aramis
Bel's a girlie?

Bien oui, I'm a girlie - I've no dangly bits at all. HA!

addict
addict
So it was more about ancient Lacrosse? Sounds a bit like rugby. Should have grasped the historical significance but actually that minor analysis was made up on the fly.

belMarduk #166658 03/09/07 05:25 PM
addict
addict
Well sorry for missing that but glad the board got rosier.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,372
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 381 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith