Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#166187 02/19/07 03:43 PM
W
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
W
As the daughter of a pig farmer, I rush in to share my praise of pigs. Pigs are intelligent, affectionate and have great personalities. Contrary to popular opinion, pigs do not overeat as horses and cows are prone to do. Their straight gut means they stop when they are full. They are willing to eat almost any food, just as humans do. They are so affectionate, they prefer to cuddle when they sleep, even when they are adults. This does lead to problems, since they often crush younger, smaller pigs when they roll over. Pigs do like to wallow in mud, but would prefer clean water if they can get it. This is because pigs do not sweat. They reduce their heat by flapping their ears or rolling in mud.
Pigs are incredible!

#166188 02/19/07 04:37 PM
T
veteran
veteran
T
Quote:

As the daughter of a pig farmer, I rush in to share my praise of pigs. Pigs are intelligent, affectionate and have great personalities. Contrary to popular opinion, pigs do not overeat as horses and cows are prone to do. Their straight gut means they stop when they are full. They are willing to eat almost any food, just as humans do. They are so affectionate, they prefer to cuddle when they sleep, even when they are adults. This does lead to problems, since they often crush younger, smaller pigs when they roll over. Pigs do like to wallow in mud, but would prefer clean water if they can get it. This is because pigs do not sweat. They reduce their heat by flapping their ears or rolling in mud.
Pigs are incredible!

I'm with you, wlmacdougal; at least I was until you said that pigs are inedible! They are not. Pig meat, if properly prepared, can be as tasty as chicken...even better.

#166189 02/19/07 06:34 PM
journeyman
journeyman
Add cr.

Anyways, their incredibleness is only compounded by their deliciousness. Some pigs for pets, some pigs for eating.

I exist! I am a pedant! I have a foreboding signature!
#166190 02/19/07 09:30 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
wlm: Well said. I heartily concur with your observations, and in fact through a series of Letters to the Editor of the Victorville, CA Daily Press and contributions to its Religion section, I question how the Clergy can defend how we hang him up by his hind legs, alive, cut his throat, then ultimately eat him

Traditionally the clerical argument goes that consuming pork is ok because the creature doesn't have a soul, but that argument falls flat on its face when I too point out how as a pet the porker is superior in some way even to the dog, living and loving and mourning its dead

...but when they argue that look here, it's obvious the Creator means us to eat meat as evidenced by our possessing eye teeth, I ask why, then, has She through evolution so reduced their length, as if to signal that it's no longer sanctioned. No replies yet forthcoming from the Spiritual Community

Me? Oh hell, I'm omnivorous, as is Cur above (pun intended). Call me disingenuous or even hypocritical, if you will, you've called me everything else. But Parson, answer me

Admin, please forgive us for this shameless divergence from the purposes of WS

dalehileman
#166191 02/20/07 02:20 AM
W
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
W
Incredible, not inedible. I have to say, pork is my favourite meat. I miss the home-cured hams of my childhood, although a good spiral ham is a fair substitute.
I probably would not eat meat if I had to kill it, but since I don't I enjoy it muchly!

#166192 02/20/07 02:21 AM
journeyman
journeyman
I wonder at why you ascribe a gender to what needs not gender nor has gender. 'He' was a figure of speech, even if it was a little sexist.

The simple fact of the incomplete amino acid combination in most plant species is a sign of that. In our plentiful 20th-century diet, we can gorge on many types of vegetables, therefore counterbalancing that factor, but the spread of kwashiorkor in Africa should tell you what happens to people when they're vegetarians and they can only get one type of food(granted, the Africans aren't vegetarians, but they can't really get meat, can they?). There is also the scriptural condonation of meat, but I don't think you're the kind of person who believes in a scripture. Also, prehistoric precedence; name any prehistoric or early historic clan/tribe/gathering/et al. that abstained from meat.

I exist! I am a pedant! I have a foreboding signature!
#166193 02/20/07 10:56 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

Incredible, not inedible.

You gotta filter Milo's posts through a very fine filter and keep a lot of grains of salt on hand for chasers.

#166194 02/20/07 12:46 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

Incredible, not inedible. ...

Milo was making a play on words. This is a forum about words, after all.

#166195 02/20/07 12:59 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Dale, you're certainly not the first person to ever post a "divergence" here; that in and of itself isn't all that noteworthy. BUT--there is a deeper issue apparent, and it says rather a lot about you: that is that you continue to post in ways that you know will annoy people. True, compared to a few people we have had do this, your annoyances are minor indeed; but why do it at all?

If anyone is upset by some unexpected response(s) early on, I strongly recommend letting that person(s) know; I would just about bet money that at least 99% of the regular people here would be willing to straighten out a misunderstanding, and apologize.

However--you have been told again and again that certain kinds of things you post annoy people, yet you continue to do them...and then point out, oh, for ex., that you get called unsavory names, as though: 1.) you are surprised that that's happened, or 2.) that the person(s) is mean for doing so.

That absolutely will not wash, with me. I am happy to give anybody a first, second, probably third, and maybe even fourth or fifth chance in special circumstances. But when someone clearly understands that what they're doing is unwelcome and they continue to do it anyway, well--at that point I really don't want anything further to do with them, to tell you the truth. I don't understand why anyone would do this, any more than I understand what makes people vandalize. And come to think of it, this kind of thing is sort of virtual vandalism, I suppose.

And while I'm on my soapbox, on to another pet grievance of mine: people who come on here new (or perhaps sometimes, not even so new), tell us we ought to change and do things his way (we've never had a her do that, in my recollection), and then berate us for not doing it. So I would like to take this opportunity to thank ALL of you new people who have not done that!

#166196 02/20/07 04:04 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
Reading posts from somebody you don't like is a form of self-flagellation

dalehileman
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith