About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#165397 02/03/07 02:14 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
is there no gender whatsamacallit in Skrt? Pardon my resorting to such highly technical terms, but I mean that in Hindi "I go" if said by me would be main jaata hoon, or main jaa raha hoon for "I am going", but main jaatii hoon, or main jaa rahii hoon, if said by my dear wife.

Yes, Sasnkrit has gender (a grammatical category). Three of 'em: masculine, feminine, and neuter. As with Latin and Greek, most of the time you can tell a word's gender by its ending, but that does not always hold. For example, in Latin most words that end in -a are feminine, but there are exceptions like agricola 'farmer' or nauta 'sailor'; same with nouns ending in -us usually being masculine, except some like corpus 'body' or opus 'work' (neuter) or vannus 'winnowing fan' or fagus 'beech (tree)' (feminine). But those are nouns, and you sopecifically asked about verbal forms. Like Hindi, English, and Latin, Sanskrit has verbal forms which are single words and then it has a few verbal forms which are periphrastic; almost none in Vedic Sanskrit, but in the later classical language). The hoon in your example above is the finite form of hona 'to be' and is conjugated for person, number, and tense, but the other part of the verbal phrase, the raha or the rahii are basically verbal adjectives which agree in gender and number with the subject. (This is true of the non-continuous forms of the verb like main jata hun 'I go'.) You could see this in Latin with a sentence like tela vulneratus eram 'I was wounded with a spear' which could've only been uttered by a man; a woman might've said: tela vulnerata eram. In Sanskrit, agnAv agniSh carati praviSTaH 'Agni is constantly present in the fire' where praviSTaH is a verbal adjective agreeing in case number and gender with the subject Agni. (They're so rare, I couldn't really recall any of the forms, and had to check in good old Whitney's Grammar.)

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
#165398 02/03/07 08:35 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Thanks for the explanation. Unfortunately, it revealed that I had not phrased my question well enough. I had feared that such was the case. I was really asking about the gacchati, for "s/he goes" and wondering why it wasn't gacchata.

#165399 02/03/07 11:27 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I had feared that such was the case. I was really asking about the gacchati, for "s/he goes" and wondering why it wasn't gacchata.

Because in Sanskrit (like in other IE languages like Greek and Latin), the ending for the 3rd person singular of any of the three genders is -ti, cf. Old English -, Latin -Vt. In the present indicative of gam 'to go':

1st Person Singular gacchAmi
2nd Person S gacchasi
3rd Person S gacchati
1st Person Dual gacchAvas
2nd Person Dual gacchavathas
3rd Person Dual gacchavatas
1st Person Plural gacchAmas
2nd Person Plural gacchatha
3rd Person Plural gaachanti

You see something like this is the Hindi forms of hona 'to be':

hun 'I am'
hai 'thou art'
hai 'he, she, it is'
hain 'we are'
hao 'ye are'
hain 'you are'
hain 'they are'

Though, in Hindi there are less forms. But, the gender concord is on verbal adjectives and not finite verb forms.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
#165400 02/03/07 11:45 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

I had feared that such was the case. I was really asking about the gacchati, for "s/he goes" and wondering why it wasn't gacchata.

Because in Sanskrit (like in other IE languages like Greek and Latin), the ending for the 3rd person singular of any of the three genders is -ti, cf. Old English -, Latin -Vt. In the present indicative of gam 'to go':

1st Person Singular gacchAmi
2nd Person S gacchasi
3rd Person S gacchati
1st Person Dual gacchAvas
2nd Person Dual gacchavathas
3rd Person Dual gacchavatas
1st Person Plural gacchAmas
2nd Person Plural gacchatha
3rd Person Plural gaachanti

Though, in Hindi there are less forms. But, the gender concord is on verbal adjectives and not finite verb forms.

Shukriya, swami-caca.

#165401 02/04/07 12:35 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

hai 'thou art'
hao 'ye are'
hain 'you are'

Huh?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Huh?

Huh, indeed. I misremembered how Hindi handles the 2nd person: there are three grades of respect: intimate 2PS (tuu hai), familiar 2PS/2PP (tum ho), and respectful 2PS/2PP (aap hain). I tried to map these to quasi-archaic English. Looking at verbal conjugation in an online grammar, I'd also forgotten that the 3rd person, singular and plural, is divided into 3rd person near and far from the speaker: yah hai / ye hain and vah hai / ve hain.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

Huh?

Huh, indeed. I misremembered how Hindi handles the 2nd person: there are three grades of respect: intimate 2PS (tuu hai), familiar 2PS/2PP (tum ho), and respectful 2PS/2PP (aap hain). I tried to map these to quasi-archaic English. Looking at verbal conjugation in an online grammar, I'd also forgotten that the 3rd person, singular and plural, is divided into 3rd person near and far from the speaker: yah hai / ye hain and vah hai / ve hain.

Thanks. I had been restrained from posting my initial thoughts by images of grndmothers and eggs. Nice to have it confirmed that I have learned a few things rightly.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Nice to have it confirmed that I have learned a few things rightly.

I know you've been studying Hindi for a while. I, on the other hand, had a one semester class that I didn't pay much attention in.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

Nice to have it confirmed that I have learned a few things rightly.

I know you've been studying Hindi for a while. I, on the other hand, had a one semester class that I didn't pay much attention in.

P'raps, but there ain't never going to be nothing that tempts me to correct any posts by you on any matter philological. That smacks too much of hubris for my taste.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,331
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 955 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith