Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#165248 01/17/07 06:17 PM
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I thought this was a new one, but Snopes says no. I just got this from the "Lottery Winners International". It includes, among other things:
ATTN: SIR/MADAM

We are pleased to inform you of the result of the Lottery Winners
International programs held on the 8TH JANUARY 2007.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Due to mix up of some numbers and names, we ask that you keep your winning information confidential until your claims has been processed and your money Remitted to you. This is part of our security protocol to avoid double claiming and unwarranted abuse of this program by some participants. All participants were selected through a computer ballot system drawn from over 40,000 company and 20,000,000 individual email addresses and names from all over the world. This promotional program takes place every year. This lottery was promoted and sponsored by
Association of software producers. we hope with part of your
winning,you will take part in our next year 20 million Euros
international lottery.

Snopes has a couple from 2002, parts of which are just the same as mine. Here's some of what Snopes says about it:
Those who try to collect their "winnings" soon find themselves on the receiving end of e-mails informing them that they have to fork over facilitation fees before the big payouts will come to them.

Snopes says it is similar to the Nigerian scam, but this time they're saying they're from the Netherlands (sorry, Branny).

#165249 01/17/07 06:21 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
you know, Jackie, I wouldn't even open an email with that subject.

formerly known as etaoin...
#165250 01/18/07 02:35 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Jackie, Jackie, I just passed by by accident... You don't know all the things we learn from the Nigerians! Anyway, this wasn't me, anything's got to do with numbers and left out characters is wasted on my intelligence. I couldn't if I should it.

#165251 01/18/07 08:02 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
I HAVE WON numerous contests, lotteries and drawings in which I have never participated!
I must be the luckiest guy on earth!

You also must wonder how anyone who does so poorly at spelling could manage large sums of money.

#165252 01/18/07 08:05 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
In a similar vein, I have completely lost faith in all US banks.
They continually send me email notices that a computer failure has caused them to lose my personal information. Furthermore, my account is at risk of being cancelled if I cannot provide them these details.
How can I trust a bank to manage my money if they can't remember my password is "123"?
This includes banks with whom I have never held accounts!! It must be an epidemic!!
AAARRRGGGHHHH !!!!

"I am certain there is too much certainty in the world" -Michael Crichton
#165253 01/18/07 08:07 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Quote:

I thought this was a new one, but Snopes says no. I just got this from the "Lottery Winners International". It includes, among other things:
ATTN: SIR/MADAM

They know you so well, from your submission/entry, that this is addressed to SIR/MADAM ?
I often get phone calls from "The Phone Company" or "Your Mortgage Company" and my first question is, "What is my customer number?"
After a short silence, the caller is always stunned by that simple question, they admit that this is a solicitation.

#165254 01/19/07 01:39 AM
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I wouldn't even open an email with that subject.
Oh, I didn't! I did the right-click, details, message source trick that Juanmaria taught me. I wonder how he's doing?

#165255 01/21/07 03:17 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
right-click, details, message source trick
Please share.

#165256 01/21/07 05:38 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Read The Contents Of An E-mail Without Opening It

This may sound like something impossible. But you can. Ever wanted to see what's inside a strange looking e-mail that came from an unknown source, but you did not want to take the risk of opening it? Well there is a way. View the message source instead. The message source will give you a text-view of the e-mail where no scripts can be executed so it is completely safe. It may be hard to read if the e-mail is formatted with HTML, but this will not be a problem for people with HTML knowledge.

The first part of the message source will look like Greek to most people. This is the e-mail header. Scroll down until you find some text that actually makes sense. This should be the body of the e-mail and if the text is unformatted you will be able to read the contents without any problem. If you can only see millions of special characters and scrambled text, you may be viewing an e-mail that is made up by only one image. There is no way of viewing the image without opening it, but we strongly suggest you delete e-mails like this if you don't know where they come from.

An e-mail from an unknown source, with an attachment is most of the times an e-mail with a virus. But you can look at the name and extension of the file by looking for the term "attachment" in the message source. Mozilla Thunderbird makes it possible to do a text search in the message source, but you will have to look for this part of the e-mail with the naked eye if you use Outlook Express.

To view the message source in Outlook Express, follow these steps:

* Right click on the message and select "Properties".
* Click on the "Details" tab and then on "Message Source"

For Mozilla Thunderbird users, simply select the message you want to view and press Ctrl+U. Don't assume that the Print Preview of Thunderbird is a safe alternative. Some scripts can be executed under Print Preview.

-cybertopcops.com

#165257 01/21/07 05:57 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

To view the message source in Outlook Express, follow these steps:

* Right click on the message and select "Properties".
* Click on the "Details" tab and then on "Message Source

Thanks Tsuwm, though I hardly ever get spam this is nice to know.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,338
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 637 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,544
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,917
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith