Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#164695 01/01/07 02:15 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Once again, Lake Superior State Univ. publishes its awesome annual list -- with no combined celebrity names and not coming to a theater near you:

http://www.lssu.edu/banished/current.php

#164696 01/01/07 02:49 PM
T
veteran
veteran
T
Awesome is hardly the word, AnnaStropic, this years list is better than awesome, this years list is actually quite good.

Now if someone will just ban "actually"; that would be awesome.

#164697 01/01/07 03:24 PM
E
addict
addict
E
I look forward to this every year; it tickles me to see how many of the things that bug me also bug other people!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
A few of these picked non-randomly:

Quote:

GITMO

The official Navy designation of th US Naval base at Guantanamo, Cuba is GTMO. It has been pronounced "gitmo" for at least forty years. It's only the excesses of recent times that have resulted in this pronunciation getting any wide spread recognition. If you don't like it get yourself elected Commander-in-Chief and change it. Otherwise just shut up and think of England.

Quote:

GONE/WENT MISSING

Long time British slang. If it's caught on in the greater Anglophonic world it's because communication has improved due to the influence of the world wide web and many people find it more expressive than just plan "missing". Sorry if getting yourself elected CinC doesn't help on this one. Maybe thinking of England won't either. Tough.

Quote:

NOW PLAYING IN THEATERS -- Heard in movie advertisements. Where can we see that, again?

At home on the direct to DVD edition you rented from Hollywood Buster.

Quote:

TRUTHINESS

Mostly nobody quite understood the real meaning of this term. If you did, you wouldn't be complaining about its existence, you'd be complaining about its misuse.

Quote:

CHIPOTLE

The word chipotle refers to a specific entity. That's the only word available for that particular entity. If you ban the entity you are going to get a lot of discriminating chili eaters unhappy and you don't want that to happen. Just relax and think of Mexico.

Quote:

SEARCH -- Quasi-anachronism. Placed on one-year moratorium.

"Might as well banish it. The word has been replaced by 'google.'" -- Michael Raczko, Swanton, Ohio.

Weren't y'all complaing about "google" as a verb a while back? Make up your proverbial mind.

Quote:

HEALTHY FOOD -- Point of view is everything.

Someone told Joy Wiltzius of Fort Collins, Colorado, that the tuna steak she had for lunch "sounded healthy." Her reply: "If my lunch were healthy, it would still be swimming somewhere. Grilled and nestled in salad greens, it's 'healthful.'"

If there really were any logic to language "healthful" would mean "full of health," not the sort of thing you would say about a dead fish. "Healthy" now also means "promoting good health," a much more fitting thing to say about a tuna steak sandwich if properly made with mercury-free tuna.

T
veteran
veteran
T
Gee Mister Faldage, we were just having a little laugh.

Did you get up on the wrong side of the bed and start the new year by being a grump?

Shoot! All you need is a big bowl of back-eyed peas cooked with a hog jowl and a nice serving of cornbread and some clabber milk. This will pretty much gurantee you a year of good luck so you won't have to be a grouch.

Faldage, I sincerly hope that this coming year finds yourself a much happier person, and that I win the Lottery.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Last edited by themilum; 01/01/07 11:47 PM.
E
addict
addict
E
Quote:

Weren't y'all complaing about "google" as a verb a while back? Make up your proverbial mind.

Yes, that occurred to me, too, but I just rolled my eyes.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

Gee Mister Faldage, we were just having a little laugh.

A little laugh?!

Y'all were talking about banning words! Attempting to force y'all's petty prejudices on the whole rest of the English speaking world!

BTW, boast, in the sense complained about is cited from 1697 in the B&M OED, and y'all're just now getting around to puling and micturating about it? I'm sorry, but the statute of limitations clicked in a couple hundred years ago.

T
veteran
veteran
T
Ok,ok,ok, we get your point. We are not stupid, you know.

But what about the cutesy ones on the list? Like COMBINED CELEBRITY NAMES?

Let say for example that you and dalehileman got married. Would it be ok with you if we started calling you two "Faldalehileman" ?

Last edited by themilum; 01/02/07 12:44 AM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
So you wanna ban just celebrity portmanteaus? Or are you gonna ban such atrocities as "smog," "brunch" and, yes, "portmanteau" itsownself?

And as far as banning "we are pregnant" any woman who has never said, "We have to clean out the garage," where "we" are the husband may feel free to complain about someone saying "We are pregnant."

T
veteran
veteran
T
Ok, thats it, I give up. You are determined to excuse any aberration of the English language. But don't you know, Mister Faldage, that certain parameters are necessary for the continuity of human communication.

And it is to these parameters that Elizabeth and AnnaStrophic and I are speaking. This is our chore as vibrant and prime members of our Culture.

And we will not shirk.

Last edited by themilum; 01/02/07 04:17 AM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,347
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 818 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,548
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith