Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
I see this word used in many places, and from context can infer some meaning. But where did this word come from? Is it an acronym of some kind? Any and all information on derivation, meaning, and use would be very welcome. Thanks.

T
veteran
veteran
T
Hi Charlando, mojo meaning black magic is derived from one of the African languages spoken by black slaves who ended up in New Orleans, Louisiana. Muddy Waters and Lightnin' Hopkins and others popularlized the term through their jump blues in the fifties. Click and listen...

http://gofish.about.com/detail.html?gfid=11-6663357

A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
While Wikipedia is not necessarily the best source of information on all topics, it does have a good article on mojo including its origins and uses.

Mojo

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Themilum,if my memory works well(???)I think it was you who pointed attention to the following in the "Women talk thrice as much as men"or something like that thread. (Can't find the old thread):

"Poignant lyics from the greatest harmonica player since the Southland gave birth to the blues - the great but late - Sonny boy Willamson "

Wanna tell you I've got it for Christmas and that harmonica does not just sing , it really speaks! Good voice , great lyrics!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
> I've got it for Christmas

Milo's work here is done.

formerly known as etaoin...
T
veteran
veteran
T
Quote:

> I've got it for Christmas

Milo's work here is done.

Ah yes, etaoin, it is good to share the small joys of this world with others.

But I am not done here. Not until I tell Branshea that "Sonny Boy" was a friend of mine. I sang while he played his harmonica in the back seat of a 1948 Dodge as we rode from the liquor store over to Big Mary's, back in nineteen and fifty-nine.

For several years after, "Sonny Boy" would phone me whenever he was in town and I would gather up a group of my blues loving teen-age white friends and we would descend enmasse upon a dirt floor colored-only beer joint called "Will Lewis's Place" where he played when he was on the skids in Birmingham.

I have some interesting memories of those visits.

Now I'm done.

Last edited by themilum; 12/31/06 02:40 PM.
#164607 12/31/06 05:47 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
This story defenitly adds special flavor to the new CD. I will listen to it thinking : 'Someone I do not really know has been sitting in this man's 1948 Dodge !'
Nice story, thanks for adding.

#164608 01/01/07 03:15 PM
T
veteran
veteran
T
For the record it was not Sonny Boy's 1948 Dodge. It was Tank Younger's.

Tank, Pal Al, and me were riding Sonny Boy here and there around Birmingham because wheels are faster than heels and Sonny Boy didn't have no car.

#164609 01/01/07 09:38 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

For the record it was not Sonny Boy's 1948 Dodge. It was Tank Younger's.

Tank, Pal Al, and me were riding Sonny Boy here and there around Birmingham because wheels are faster than heels and Sonny Boy didn't have no car.

For the lesson I should learn from this : To learn to read before I start to learn a foreign language.
Of course he can't have been been driving that car when he was
playing his harmonica in the back seat.

Birmingham , Birmingham? Greatest City in Alabam? Randy Newman?

(sorry for running this thread off track) I'm gone

Last edited by BranShea; 01/01/07 10:02 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Back to topic: this Wiki- link is interesting information. Then mojo is some kind of voodoo article ? The list of songs from blues to Steely Dan and the list of English words from African origin are nice to look through. I have an African (Congo)foster son, who's mother(also here in the country) often prepared African dinners. One of the favored ingredients was ngombo (gumbo)
My foster son's name: Ngoma Mbambi. According to his father Mbambi indeed means 'deer'. Has Walt Disney (or who is the writer of the story?) directly taken this from the African language?

I also noticed the word buckra ,which much have changed to bakra in Surinam's papiamento. Bakra meaning 'white man'/ ''white skin'.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 937 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith