Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
A well-travelled American gentleman of our acquaintance has an interesting way of asking for the bill which works all over the world.

He makes a square with the index fingers and thumbs of both hands and says "mitzu" with authority. For some reason, possibly owing to his generally distinguished air, it always works. As far as he knows mitzu does not mean bill in any known language but it sounds like the kind of word that could mean bill if one only knew the language.

We've tried it with some success but we need to work on the "looking sufficiently distinguished" bit!

PS I've marked the two boxes below this reply with a "tick".

#16347 01/24/01 12:44 PM
B
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
B
Thanks, tsuwm. I experimented a bit and I figured it out---so I deleted my first stupid reply to you. I can't believe it worked so easy. Thanks a million!

enthusiast

enthusiast
#16348 01/24/01 01:02 PM
B
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
B
Thanks CK. I am sorry your reciprocating engine had its revenge on you. And now this German student would like to reciprocate with you about your Hobbit post and your Lord of the Rings post. Is this OK, CK???? He is doing a report for Senior English.

enthusiast

enthusiast
#16349 01/24/01 01:31 PM
B
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
B
Thanks to all at AWAD TALK for quickly answering my question of revenge vs reciprocate. I never imagined that this question would result in so much learning and feedback. AWAD TALK, computer and school should be a must in all schools. Thanks Worldwide Teachers!

enthusiast

enthusiast
#16350 01/24/01 01:38 PM
B
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
B
Thanks BYB for your wonderful reply to my first real post. Your answer not only boosted my self-esteem but also generated and reciprocated tons of great feedback.

enthusiast

enthusiast
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Is the square made thumb to thumb and forefinger to forefinger or thumb to forefinger and forefinger to thumb?

And

Is it oriented with one side parallel to the floor or with the sides diagonally oriented to the floor?

J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>how to make the square

The gentleman in question made something rectangular(ish) with forefingers touching and the thumbs arranged in a decisive, yet gentile way, not touching as in an art nouveau motif. The orientation was diagonal, the little finger or pinkie slightly curled, so that the waitron would appreciate the calibre of the customer.

I'm so pleased at your concern, Faldage, are you considering making use of this method? I could fit you in for a formal training session sometime on my next world tour.

H
addict
addict
H
The gentleman in question made something rectangular(ish) with forefingers touching and the thumbs arranged in a decisive, yet gentile way,

Not entirely sure what this would look like.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Jo comments "I'm so pleased at your concern, Faldage, are you considering making use of this method? I could fit you in for a formal training session sometime on my next world tour."

Thank you, Jo, that would be nice. And to Hyla regarding the concern about the use of the phrase "gentile way" I would suggest that he was being careful not to make the hand gesture look like the Mogen Dovid which would imply that he thought that the food served was substandard (i.e., not kosher)

#16355 01/24/01 05:44 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
In reply to:

The gentleman in question made something rectangular(ish) with forefingers touching and the thumbs arranged in a decisive, yet gentile way,

Not entirely sure what this would look like.

As the moyel said, it means the waitron probably isn't going to get a tip.

TEd
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,351
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 775 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,549
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith