Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#162414 10/10/06 11:57 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
China, I think, Anna.

Calli, we do have a joke (I don't know if it's a cosmic joke--I'm not familiar with that term) that says that the duck-billed platypus is proof that God has a sense of humor; no disrespect to God intended.

#162415 10/10/06 04:36 PM
F
stranger
stranger
F
As much as another hated bringing irony into this, that is essentially what anything described as a "cosmic joke" is - irony (granted maybe weak irony). maybe it is just unfairness, but like irony, "cosmic joke" generally wants something more than merely unfairness or incongruity.

The irony/unfairness in the passage you describe being simply that of two workers where one commands a salary of twice as much as the other, there is no difference in their abilities..

#162416 10/10/06 07:25 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
No, not the same, Callit. It was a question and I made my own aswer : no. It 's really a matter of what laguage you are translating this in. It could, maybe, be translated litterally into your own language. "cosmic joke" would translate quite directly into my language and give the exact same meaning and feeling.

This 'law of nature 'answer was referring to Bingly's answer, I mean, I wanted to get rid of God playing jokes and look for a more neutral universal idea.

#162417 10/11/06 12:36 AM
C
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
C
Thanks.

The target language of this translation is Chinese. So far I failed to find a term to translate this into my mother tongue. Maybe there is. But so far I haven't found it.

On Chinese term came to my mind is Tianda de Xiaohua(A joke as big as the sky). It's often used. But I puzzle about whether it means the same as the source does.

For now I just translated it as "facetious joke".

I wonder before I can find a better term, which one should I use best? The law of nature? Or just a funny remark?

Last edited by callithump; 10/11/06 12:52 AM.

Do inform me if you see any corrections needed in my written English.
#162418 10/11/06 06:48 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Maybe Callithump, you could also translate this as "a wold wide joke" if there an equal to "world wide" in Chinese. Because this settling for less with the same personal capacities is a world wide phenomenen.

Maybe the "cosmic joke" in the end is on the one whe grabs the dubble income. Those who settle for less can do so for a purpose and have different reasons for it.
Quality of life, staying level with and loyal to the social circle they were born to. (or to explore life rather than their bank account).

There are many people who do not have the urge to be richer than their neighbours.Who want to share.(That's what allows the very rich to become so grabbish).) (The law of nature occured to me only because I thought of the inevitable connection: where people settle for less other's can settle for more)

The "cosmic" problem ( or just another and cruel "cosmic joke"? ) is that the larger part of the world does not have the choice to settle for less , because it's quite impossible to settle for less than nothing if you want to stay alive.

Is "world wide" another option?

#162419 10/11/06 12:15 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Calli, here are a couple of partial quotes (I couldn't access the one article that sounded like it was going to actually define cosmic joke--it was restricted). So these are phrases taken from Google listings.
the human condition, if faced squarely, can be viewed as a cosmic joke
The innate joy of discovering the Cosmic Joke of life

I wish I had a real understanding of what it meant (though I thank you, FNA; you helped me along quite nicely). But it sounds as though it means that we might as well be resigned to the fact that we have little control over what happens to us, and that the "joke" aspect is, as FNA said, an ironic term. Perhaps (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong) an example might be that someone who has used his hands to make a living (a violinist, a bricklayer) loses the use of them.

The point I'm trying to make is that if you, calli, have a good understanding of the concept, then perhaps you can find Chinese words or phrases that convey the same thing, without doing a literal translation.

I don't envy anybody the job of translating. Just think, for ex., of how off-putting it would be to most native English speakers if we got a literal translation of an Italian recipe for "little worms"!

EDIT: I just tried to look up another phrase, and I'll be danged if I didn't get the same site as the one above that wouldn't let me in! Is that a cosmic joke?

#162420 10/11/06 01:45 PM
addict
addict
Easier by example:

Keanau Reeve was going to an island. He got a flat tire on the way, and so missed the ferry, which sank and drowned everyone on it. Upon hearing the news, he said, "Whoa... cosmic."

#162421 10/11/06 03:34 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

color]

EDIT: I just tried to look up another phrase, and I'll be danged if I didn't get the same site as the one above that wouldn't let me in! Is that a cosmic joke?

Ah, Jackie , you see? We only have to discuss "cosmic"and the high powers are moving in at once.

#162422 10/12/06 10:36 PM
Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
I think the misleading word is joke. It isn't necessarily something that is funny in the way that riddles and funny stories are. More like a practical joke played by the universe on someone. Like many practical jokes it is often not funny for those it is played on but often carries an element of "poetic justice" (see below). By definition the event has to be coincidental not the deliberate act of another person.
Does that make sense to others?

Poetic justice is when the punishment is particularely well fitted to the misdeed or the misdoer. e.g. the arsonist who dies in an accidental fire.

#162423 10/13/06 08:23 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Hello, Zed. Your defintion of 'practical joke' sounds pretty good to me alright. But it does not solve the problem of "cosmic joke" imo.
Cosmic jokes, (if we come to the right understanding of the word at all), are fickle. Touching 'good' and 'bad' equally.
Maybe the problem is caused by the way the writer of the original sentence
(translated by Callitthump) uses these words. Maybe if he had just used the simple words 'the ironic thing' it would have not posed this problem to translators. For that's what it finally is. Ironic. This income business. "Cosmic Joke " makes it look more than it is.
To use "cosmic joke" it would need a special setting, context. Like that example above of someone missing the boat that goes down. I think there should be a shocking surprise element in it. Practicle jokes maybe are man- made? Cosmic jokes are made by fate. Anyway,I did my best (big effort to cross the line from dreaming to thinking )
I like the subject.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith