Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
A
Okay folks I believe it has been seven days of voting so here are the results for gam.

consuelo, belMarduk, and Bingley all became lambs to Faldage’s slaughter by choosing (C), earning Faldage the most votes. Faldage and etaoin in turn provided music to the ears of musick by voting for his hinge (D). Aramis11, Elizabeth Creith, and TEd Remington spotted the white whale and chose the correct definition (I). They all earn a point each, plus drinks at Starbuck’s provided they are willing to share a bed with Queequeg. The Hogmaster submitted his own tongue-in-cheek daffynition (G), which was voted for by wofahulicodoc. Aramis11’s printing press stop (H) caught musick ’s eye, and Bingley’s cynosure (J)
led AnnaStrophic up the garden path, which was hardly a gentlmanly thing to do considering her condition. themilum’s cant language (K) earned a vote from tsuwm in addition to milum’s own feint-vote.

(A) a lens in a set of goggles
submitted by AnnaStrophic

(B) an artificial reef of used tire carcasses, partially filled with concrete and sunk individually.
submitted by TEd Remington

(C) the smallest lamb in a flock
submitted by Faldage
voted for by consuelo, belMarduk, Bingley

(D) [Welsh] A hinge.
submitted by musick
voted for by Faldage, etaoin

(E) Old English, obs., livestock market
submitted by consuelo

(F) the basic unit of verse meter consisting of any of various fixed combinations or groups of stressed and unstressed or long and short syllables
submitted by Anonymous

(G) a ventral muscular surface or process of a mollusk
submitted by a naughty rascal
voted for by wofahulicodoc

(H) n. [OE. gaem] an adjustable stop in an old-style printing press that sets the die-to-paper force limit
submitted by Aramis11
voted for by musick

(I) a visit or friendly conversation at sea or ashore especially between whalers; or, a school of whales
dictionary definition of gam
voted for by Aramis11, Elizabeth Creith, TEd Remington

(J) a cynosure
submitted by Bingley
voted for by AnnaStrophic

(K) a cant language spoken by 9,000 "Walking Irish" gypsies in the United States. Also known as "Shelta" or "Gammen" or "Pavee". Today this 13th Century language is spoken by 86,000 "Irish Travellers" worldwide.
submitted by themilum
voted for by tsuwm, themilum

(L) (obsolete) preserved fruit; cf. "jam"
submitted by wofahulicodoc

from Moby Dick, chapter 54
It was not very long after speaking the Goney that another homeward-bound whaleman, the Town-Ho,* was encountered. She was manned almost wholly by Polynesians. In the short gam that ensued she gave us strong news of Moby Dick. To some the general interest in the White Whale was now wildly heightened by a circumstance of the Town-Ho's story, which seemed obscurely to involve with the whale a certain wondrous, inverted visitation of one of those so called judgments of God which at times are said to overtake some men. This latter circumstance, with its own particular accompaniments, forming what may be called the secret part of the tragedy about to be narrated, never reached the ears of Captain Ahab or his mates. For that secret part of the story was unknown to the captain of the Town-Ho himself. It was the private property of three confederate white seamen of that ship, one of whom, it seems, communicated it to Tashtego with Romish injunctions of secrecy, but the following night Tashtego rambled in his sleep, and revealed so much of it in that way, that when he was wakened he could not well withhold the rest. Nevertheless, so potent an influence did this thing have on those seamen in the Pequod who came to the full knowledge of it, and by such a strange delicacy, to call it so, were they governed in this matter, that they kept the secret among themselves so that it never transpired abaft the Pequod's main-mast. Interweaving in its proper place this darker thread with the story as publicly narrated on the ship, the whole of this strange affair I now proceed to put on lasting record.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
> themilum’s cant language (K) earned a vote from tsuwm in addition to milum’s own feint-vote.

I might have noted that I cast my vote before Milo's feint-vote, and then asked to rescind my fake-vote after Milo's feint-vote; but that's just me.

A
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
A
Quote:

> I might have noted that I cast my vote before Milo's feint-vote, and then asked to rescind my fake-vote after Milo's feint-vote; but that's just me.

My reply to your highly-unusual-but-received-with-good-humor request was "you may either change your vote or simply cast another vote." You did not take advantage of either of these options so your original vote stood.

/harrumph

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Thanks for the game Alex. I'm glad I got back just in time to play.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

Quote:

> I might have noted that I cast my vote before Milo's feint-vote, and then asked to rescind my fake-vote after Milo's feint-vote; but that's just me.

My reply to your highly-unusual-but-received-with-good-humor request was "you may either change your vote or simply cast another vote." You did not take advantage of either of these options so your original vote stood.

/harrumph

please note that I wasn't complaining about the tallying of the vote per se; but rather was merely noting the existential ramifications of the sequence of events, as documented.

i.e., the effect of the feint-vote was contravivulating.

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
I feel like I'm in a Monty Python skit...

I love you guys.

T
veteran
veteran
T
For sure, BelMarduk, tsuwm and the guys are a wild and crazy bunch but "contravivulating" is not a word and it wasn't retroactive voting that made this country great.

If everybody is allowed to go back in time and change their vote (like tsuwm wanted) then nobody on the TV Survivor shows could ever be permanently voted off the island; and as well, that talentless, skinny, one-note chick from California would probably be retro-voted by the wishee washee public and elected the reigning American Idol over that cool guy from Alabama; and may God help us all, that pompous whimp, John Kerry, would likely have retro-replaced President Bush as President of the US and by now the fanatical Islamofascists would have already blown us to smithereens.

"Smithereens" now that's a real word; a word we can all understand.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
> and may God help us all, that pompous whimp, John Kerry, would likely have retro-replaced President Bush as President of the US and by now the fanatical Islamofascists would have already blown us to smithereens.

you are so full of shit, Milo. I can smell it way up here in God's country.

formerly known as etaoin...
A
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
A
Quote:

For sure, BelMarduk, tsuwm and the guys are a wild and crazy bunch but "contravivulating" is not a word....

Interestingly, contravivulating was a previous WWFTD and was identified as a "nonce word."

Quote:

it wasn't retroactive voting that made this country great

But perhaps retroactive voting did make the country not great.

Quote:

...and may God help us all, that pompous whimp, John Kerry, would likely have retro-replaced President Bush as President of the US and by now the fanatical Islamofascists would have already blown us to smithereens.

The Hogmaster, while himself not a moderator, kindly requests that you start your own thread to discuss politics, and suggests a compound topic of politics/nonce words/misunderestimated. Then again such a topic might be contravivulating.

T
veteran
veteran
T
Sure thing, Alex, it's your thread and your Hogwash, if light political innuendo is not welcome here I understand and rescind my remarks.

Now please chastise etaoin for his direct personal insult and his coarse language better suited for scatological boards.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

Sure thing, Alex, it's your thread and your Hogwash, if light political innuendo is not welcome here I understand and rescind my remarks.

>the fanatical Islamofascists would have already blown us to smithereens.

"light political innuendo"?!?

perhaps bring on the Rep. Foley gay repartee for some light political innuendo!?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
JOE! I saw that!

TEd
E
addict
addict
E
Quote:

I can smell it way up here in God's country.

Eta, I had no idea you were Canadian!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
in your endo, buddy...

formerly known as etaoin...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I feel like I'm in a Monty Python skit...

Ya mean, we're not?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,345
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 742 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,547
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith