Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#16147 01/22/01 11:03 AM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
Don't gripe about the grip of the grape, lusy, if it helps you grope toward the truth about the group.

I tend to agree with Jackie that new threads ought, perhaps, to be on a linguistic topic, but I do have to say that I find the excursions on which we are taken by so many of this glorious group of intellects are fascinating and (usually) worthwhile. I have learned so much about the culture and customs of other parts of the English-speaking world (and other parts as well, for that matter); learned so much about a variety of subjects of which I was totally ignorant and would not have thought to read up; and had so many belly laughs from the surreal sense of humour displayed here - including TEd's occasional (!!!!) puns. I would hate to see this disappear.

In addition, given the attractively anarchic organisation of this board, I don't think that any of these discussions will actually alter things very much. They do serve to remind us, from time to time, what business we are supposed to be engaged in, so are worthwhile - but I don't think the lengthy discussion on limiting the number of posts had any effect whatever - except, of course, to increase the number of posts
So keep it up, all of my friends out there - use private if it really is just between the two of you, but if you are indulging in a comic duo scene for our entertainment (now, who could I possibly be thinking of? ) then go ahead!!

#16148 01/22/01 01:16 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>I have learned so much about the culture and customs of other parts of the English-speaking world (and other parts as well, for that matter); learned so much about a variety of subjects of which I was totally ignorant and would not have thought to read up.

Me too. I find our cross-cultural discourse quite fascinating and it does tend to revolve around the way a word is used, rather than a strict definition of a word.

If it wanders off into sport or another area which doesn't inspire me, I read in brain-dead mode (I'm good at this). I've never been able to do anagrams, for example, so I leave those threads to the experts (but I do love to marvel at their expertise from a quiet distance, keep going PaulB - you'll get there).

As to puns. If they can't be posted here, then where?

#16149 01/23/01 10:35 AM
P
addict
addict
P
Thanks for the encouragement, Jo.

Since I went away for a few days in late December, I've been struggling to catch up with all the new posts and I now have fewer than 100 to read tonight. But there's no way I'd miss a single one of them and, for me, the struggle is worth it. This board has been an eye-opener, a brain-opener, and a heart-opener for me -- long may it continue!!! Thank you, my friends.

#16150 01/24/01 07:34 AM
Avy Offline
old hand
old hand
>I've never been able to do anagrams,

Me neither.
As for puns - teD you are the best!

#16151 01/25/01 01:02 PM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
I've never been able to do anagrams

They are about as difficult as it is to snag a ram.

#16152 01/25/01 02:21 PM
addict
addict
Ever since I subscribed I have been doggedly trawling through the many existing threads in the board. Related or unrelated to words as they may be, I have never ceased to find them at least interesting enough to continue my reading. I do confess, though, that I haven't yet tackled that Monster Miscellany, nor the Word Q&A... Will my endurance hold up?

#16153 01/25/01 03:09 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
A Border Collie can help you snag a ram, but I never saw one that could help with anagrams.

#16154 01/26/01 10:13 AM
P
addict
addict
P
Keep at it, Marianna -- your endurance will be rewarded!

and welcome to the board!

#16155 01/27/01 12:39 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Jackie, it strikes me (belatedly) that today's wwftd could easily be applied to answer this question. logopandocie is a nonce-word used to mean readiness to admit all kinds of words. it also implies that we have only ourselves to blame for the directions this takes us.

by the way, I discovered through Google® that Anu actually® used this word in one of his newsletters (albeit in a list of logo-type words).

#16156 01/28/01 04:58 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
A board like this one is similar to a child which enters adolescence. One can make all manner of provisions for it and encourage certain behaviours while attempting to discourage others. One can set a good example and exhort others to follow it. But, as it is with offspring, one can't make 'em do anything.

Those who wish to keep this board focused on things lexicological may encourge this behaviour and discourage things which seem defocused or refocused or not focused at all. Those who wish to retain the creator's intent for this board may set a good example and exhort others to follow it. But you can't make board members do or refrain from doing anything.

If those who prefer to keep this thing mostly about words are successful, then AWADtalk will deserve its niche in the cyber conversation. If not, then it will degenerate to one of those chatty useless boards, with which the net is already clogged, like an impacted heifer. That would make me sad.

Father Steve

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,331
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 854 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith