Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#160777 06/28/06 03:26 PM
addict
addict
Quote:

Turkish çapata 'a type of shoe' is the origin for Italian ciabatta, French savate, and Spanish zapata.

Crikey! [ ] Just had a 'new' sandwich at a restaurant yesterday that was called "ciabatta" and wondered if the term was Italian. Holy coincidence, Batman!

#160778 06/28/06 03:28 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
my son is facinated (or was facinated) by fractals and other recursive numbers. he did a westinghouse science competition paper on the subject (some 15 +years ago)
(the competetion is now run by intel, not westinghouse)

at the time we had a TI99-4A computer, with non WYSIWYG word processing software.

i was the champ at formating, he typed, i formated.
and in the process, i learned a good deal about fractals.

(he enter the competition because his father pressured him, but he was pleased in the end when he won an honorable mention. (there are thousands of those awarded))

i remember graphic software, the kind you speak of, being available--some of it was available on floppies.(this is long ago, in the dawn of time)
we had some--and its was stuff you could boot to your computer--we also had software (that fit on 1 floppy) for making RDA-(random dot astiagrams)--better known as magic eye images-you know the kind that if you look at them crooked, they appear to be 3D images. i think i still have a copy of the RDA software.. but i don't know if it would work with modern OS's.

i was a bit parinoid--i didn't want my son to have internet access at home.. i was afraid of what he might/could do. i had access(limited)at work, he waited till he got to college (and was nominally an independant adult. --over the age of 18, and not living at home!) before he had an internet on ramp.
(he now is a web master for an internet active company)

#160779 06/28/06 03:39 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
hmm, interesting, nuncle. Having just been up to town to see the fabulous new production of Tosca this got me wondering if the sound of Baron Scarpia's name is just coincidence or if there's more of a connection. I can't find out much about the original play's sources.

#160780 06/28/06 04:09 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
this got me wondering if the sound of Baron Scarpia's name is just coincidence or if there's more of a connection

I'm not sure either, but the similarity would be obvious to an Italian. (Perhaps, something along the lines of calling a cop a flatfoot or a detective a gumshoe in English.) Italian scarpa comes from a Germanic word skarpa meaning 'shoe'; cf. OHG scharpe. There is a synonym in Italian, scarpa 'embankment' from *skrapa 'pier, support'.

And since the House of Savoy and its pretender to the Italian throne is lately in the news, I've remembered a Genoese proverb that says that "Any Piedmontese with one shoe calls himself a count." I'll try to find the original wording.

[Found it, and it's less scurrilous than my half-remembered one.]

In Piemonte, a chi ha due scarpe in ti pê ghe dixan conte. (In Piemonte, chi ha due scarpe nei piedi gli dicono conte. / In Piedmont, whoever has two shoes on his feet, calls himself count.)

[In Ennio Celant, 1990, Proverbi liguri: curiosità, origini, storia, p. 111.]

Last edited by zmjezhd; 06/28/06 04:23 PM.
D
stranger
stranger
D
Actually, zweibach would be the equivalent of biscotti, since they both translate to "twice baked." I am not sure, but think that "mandlebrot" might refer to "almond bread."
On the subject of socks, in learning the Spanish for "That's what it is!" it is useful to know that "Eso si que es!" pronounced S-O-C-K-S, which of course spells "socks."

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
yup, mandlebrot is almold bread.. almold bread is baked in loaf, sliced, and baked again. zwibach is plain bread twice baked (more like a thick melba toast--

melba toast: small slices (or points) of bread, toast till evenly dry and crunchy.

(named for a NZ (i think) soprano (who also had peaches melba named for her--peaches served with raspberry sause--i am not sure if ice cream is part of the original dish.. but its certainly a common ingredient most times!

#160783 06/28/06 09:28 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
German Zwieback is almost a direct translation of Italian biscotti: the former means 'twice baked' and the latter 'twice cooked'. (Cf. panna cotta 'cooked cream' and terra cotta 'cooked earth'.)

[Fixed typos.]

Last edited by zmjezhd; 06/28/06 09:35 PM.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
addict
addict
Quote:

yup, mandlebrot is almold bread.. almold bread is baked in loaf, sliced, and baked again. zwibach is plain bread twice baked (more like a thick melba toast--

Would have thought almold bread was any kind that was left out in humidity long enough to turn green. Aramis had a red dictionary (back sometime near the stone age) that had 'zwieback' as the last entry. Thought it was Brit at the time but it is obviously from German, given mention of the 'twice' angle.

#160785 07/02/06 01:03 PM
A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
I was astounded to hear one of the words of the day, cordwainer, or a variation thereof at least, used by one of the contestants on Jeopardy within 1 day of receiving Anu's email. Considering that the shows are taped far in advance, it is an odd coincidence!

#160786 07/05/06 10:37 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Quote:

this got me wondering if the sound of Baron Scarpia's name is just coincidence or if there's more of a connection

I'm not sure either, but the similarity would be obvious to an Italian. (Perhaps, something along the lines of calling a cop a flatfoot or a detective a gumshoe in English.) Italian scarpa comes from a Germanic word skarpa meaning 'shoe'; cf. OHG scharpe. There is a synonym in Italian, scarpa 'embankment' from *skrapa 'pier, support'.

And since the House of Savoy and its pretender to the Italian throne is lately in the news, I've remembered a Genoese proverb that says that "Any Piedmontese with one shoe calls himself a count." I'll try to find the original wording.

[Found it, and it's less scurrilous than my half-remembered one.]

In Piemonte, a chi ha due scarpe in ti pê ghe dixan conte. (In Piemonte, chi ha due scarpe nei piedi gli dicono conte. / In Piedmont, whoever has two shoes on his feet, calls himself count.)

[In Ennio Celant, 1990, Proverbi liguri: curiosità, origini, storia, p. 111.]

mmm, lovely - thanks for digging that out. Yes, I strongly suspect that connection of sound & associative meaning now.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,361
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 597 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,557
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith