Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
stranger
stranger
R
Many of my female friends think that shoes are wonderful. I don't know what *they* think would be the lowest on the totem pole of human accouterments, but *I* think it should be a man's tie!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
a man's tie serves 1 purpose-to get a woman to look at it, and to follow it up to his face and eyes.

fashion is one of those things that is useless --only its a billion $$ industry.

it meaning less--only we humans tend to judge a book by its cover--and fashion is just the name of the cover.

a guy who won't spring money for (and has no women in his life to care about hime and buy him nice ties) is not a guy i think i would be interested in.

OK that's a bit of an exageration.. but if i guy is too cheap to spend money on himself, (and buy nice clothes (and ties)) than i can only think he'll treat me worse. who needs that?

(true confession--i have shoe cubbies to store my shoes. each cubby (i have 2) holds 36 pair. both are full. )

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Quote:

it meaning less--only we humans tend to judge a book by its cover--and fashion is just the name of the cover.

a guy who won't spring money for (and has no women in his life to care about hime and buy him nice ties) is not a guy i think i would be interested in.

OK that's a bit of an exageration.. but if i guy is too cheap to spend money on himself, (and buy nice clothes (and ties)) than i can only think he'll treat me worse. who needs that?

How about if he spends the money on books instead of clothes? He might arrive on the doorstep with an etymological dictionary for you.

Bingley
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Woo Woo! Now THAT'S romance

#160771 06/28/06 01:14 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Italian calzone, calzoni, 'pants, trousers, breeches' is literally a 'big sock' is from calza 'sock', which latter is from Late Latin calcea 'stocking', ultimately from Latin calx, calcis, 'heel', (not to be confused with its synonym, 'small pebble, stone'). The main word for shoe in Italian is scarpa. Italian calzetta is a diminutive of calza, but calzetteria means 'shoe-maker's shop'. The -ria part is probably related to English -ry in armory,

The Roman emperor, Caligula, got his nickname growing up in a German legionary camp, from caliga 'a soldier's shoe'. His name meant something like bootsy.

Cafeteria is from New World Spanish, from French cafetera 'coffee-maker'.

And my favorite, in German a glove is a Handshuh, literally a hand-shoe.

This is fun.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
#160772 06/28/06 01:26 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Turkish çapata 'a type of shoe' is the origin for Italian ciabatta, French savate, and Spanish zapata.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
#160773 06/28/06 02:28 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
just yesterday (evening) i got a knitting book with sock and sweater patterns. It's printed by a german company, in german, french, italian and english.

they call the men's socks (in italian) calzini da uomo(sock for men) and they call the childrens knee socks--calzettoni

perhaps there are several terms for socks (in italian)

socks (english) is obviously from a german word--mens socks are Herrensocken and knee socks are kniesocken--

but we also use the term stocking, and hose, and hosiery, and leggings. and sox is not unknown either!

there is footwear as well as shoes, --and boots, and mules, and moc's, and lots of other words for the stuff we wear on our feet. some terms more generic, some more specific.

#160774 06/28/06 02:57 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
There is a difference between calzini 'socks' and calzoni 'pants; panties; calzones, (a food item)'. Hosen in German means 'trousers', stockings being Strümpfe. See the articles on calze and scarpa in the Italian Wikipedia.

[Added more links.]

Last edited by zmjezhd; 06/28/06 03:00 PM.
addict
addict
Quote:

...familiar with fractals?..

Yes, first introduction involved a fascinating graphics generation scheme that could enlarge (fictional) map details to an unlimited extent.

addict
addict
Quote:

...but if i guy is too cheap to spend money on himself, (and buy nice clothes (and ties)) than i can only think he'll treat me worse. who needs that?

That may not be about cheapness, Imelda. Some men (at least one) are too solipsistic to care about appearances to other observers who probably do not exist and would rather purchase tools. Perhaps you will have a mechanical failure you need worked on at some point.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,361
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 647 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,557
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith