About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I took an on-line spelling quiz this morning. On the Check Your Answers page there was a link to "10 More Words You Simply Must Know", so of course I went there. As a matter of interest, I'll put them all, though it will make this a very long post. I'll put my question-word in bold.

1. Abhorrent:
1. "repugnant: arousing strong feelings of repugnance or disapproval"
2. "incompatible: incompatible or conflicting with something (literary)"

The odor in his apartment was abhorrent.

2. Masticate:
1. "to grind and pulverize food inside the mouth, using the teeth and jaws"
2. "grind to pulp: to grind or crush something until it turns to pulp"
Be sure to masticate thoroughly before swallowing.

3. Paradigm:
1. "typical example: a typical example of something"
2. "model that forms basis of something: an example that serves as a pattern or model for something, especially one that forms the basis of a methodology or theory"
3. "set of all forms of word: a set of word forms giving all of the possible inflections of a word"
4. "relationship of ideas to one another: in the philosophy of science, a generally accepted model of how ideas relate to one another, forming a conceptual framework within which scientific research is carried out"

The heiress who has become famous for being infamous is the paradigm of celebutantes.

4. Disseminate: "to distribute or spread something, especially information, widely, or become widespread"

Some publications may not want to disseminate rumors, but many tabloids make it their primary business.

5. Promulgate:
1. "declare something officially: to proclaim or declare something officially, especially to publicize formally that a law or decree is in effect"
2. "make known: to make something widely known"

The City Council has approved the regulation and will promulgate it soon.

6. Pestiferous:
1. "annoying: troublesome or annoying"
2. "causing infectious disease: breeding or spreading a virulently infectious disease"
3. "corrupting: evil and corrupting (formal)"

"The pestiferous mosquitoes enveloped the campers as they sat around their campfire--a persistent annoyance in an otherwise pleasant evening.

7. Ostentatious: "marked by a vulgar display of wealth and success designed to impress people"

They were actually deep in debt, but their ostentatious parties were the talk of the neighborhood.

8. Sternutatory: "causing or resulting in sneezing"

Cat dander is sternutatory to me.

9. Salutary:
1. "producing or contributing to a beneficial effect; beneficial; advantageous"
2. "wholesome; healthful; promoting health"

"False facts are highly injurious to the progress of science, for they often endure long; but false views, if supported by some evidence, do little harm, for every one takes a salutary pleasure in proving their falseness." -- Charles Darwin

10. Pugnacious: "having a quarrelsome or combative nature: truculent"

He was pugnacious, frequently landing himself in detention for fighting at recess.

I am also wondering how long pestiferous has been a word, but my real question is: who came up with celebutante?

#160404 06/13/06 02:20 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
this word seems to be most often linked with Paris Hilton.
there is some evidence it may have even been coined in reference to her.

obviously a portmanteau word - a blend of debutante and celebrity

-ron o.

edit: 1458 in C. Babington Repressor (1860) I. p. lv. (note) The damnable doctrine and pestiferous sect of Reynold Pecock exceedeth in malice and horribility all other heresies and sects of heretics.

edit[2]: 20 July 1986, Chicago Tribune, city edition, pg. 1:
A TRENDY GOTHAM TREK WITH MR. MUSTO
(...)
James St. James, all of 19, plops down next to Musto, bringing his pal Lisa E. along for the ride. St. James is a self-styled “celebutante”; Newsweek coined the word and St. James is glad to wear it.

He is sporting a leopard Spandex jumpsuit, a red vinyl maxi coat (vintage 1970), a motorcycle cap and a bag that reads “Alcohol Kills.” Lisa E., age 20, is a bit more sedate: She is wearing a red T-shirt stretched tightly over a rather impressive figure.

Last edited by tsuwm; 06/13/06 02:29 PM.
#160405 06/13/06 10:49 PM
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Thanks, tsuwm. He is sporting a leopard Spandex jumpsuit Well dang, where's the picture?!

#160406 06/14/06 06:08 PM
M
addict
addict
M
Quote:

Thanks, tsuwm. He is sporting a leopard Spandex jumpsuit Well dang, where's the picture?!

James St. James was one of the Original NY Club Kids, author of the autobiographical "Disco Bloodbath" which was made into the movie "Party Monster" starring Seth Green and MacCauley Culkin. If you want to see some (disturbing) pictures, here's his MySpace page: http://www.myspace.com/totally_james_st_james

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,340
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 421 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,546
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,917
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith