Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
of troy Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
yes, but..
woven material has less stretch--unless you use it crosswise (bias) which ends up wasting a lot of the cloth.
which is why people used strips, and wrapped.

there is a book on the history of knitting (richard Rutt) i have read chapters, but not the whole book. i own and have read No idle hands,a history of knitting in america, (anne McDonald) which includes an out line of knitting history (from rutt's book) there are also books on traditional knitted garments (fisherman's jersey's or gansey's, scandinavian sweaters and latvian mittens (some of which copy design from anatolian socks! the anatolian socks meanwhile copy designs from woven rugs!)

and there has been a lot written on different styles of knitting
ataturk, in modernize turkey, destroyed a 1500 year old tradition of turkish socks (more like slippers than socks)most turks today knit immitating european styles of socks.
there are several styles/processes for shaping (turning is the knitting term) the heel- the traditional turkish style has been almost completely abandon in turkey, (and western knitters have taken it up!) i'll come back and edit, and include links to images of 'french' (most common western style) heel and to turkish style socks and (and heels)

M
addict
addict
M
Quote:

the eariest examples of knitted cloth date from about 450CE (common era) but--footprints, preserved in what was mud, but became floor (inside of burial chambers in the pyramids) suggest knitting goes back long before the year 450.(1,000BCE or so)...

Several sources I found by Googling (which may of course be entirely wrong e.g. (this is the easiest to cite although probably the worst) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_knitting ) suggest that the current thinking is that even the Egyptians weren't doing "real" knitting until the 14th century.

of troy Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
an example of a European style of heel
(note, the heel is made up of 3 parts, a flap, 'the turning' and the gusset. in this sock the flap and turning are solid blue, the gusset is in the striped yarn--this style of heel is also knit with a single yarn (not contrasing), but its easier to see the parts with contrast.

a classic turkish style sock
the one on the left is the instep up, the right one is the sole.
its normal for instep and sole to have different designs.
these socks have a very short top--to make them more slipper like. (they are very thick, and don't fit into most of my shoes)normally turkish socks would be taller--
one characteristic of turkish socks is very (by today's standards) pointy toes and heels. (this was my first attempt at this style of sock)

this sock is hand knit, but heel is shaped similar to machine made socks
this style of heel is aka a short row heel. i chose this image, because its easy to see the heel shape, since the heel is knit in a solid (contrasting) color. this style is also done with in same yarn as the rest of the socks-but the yarn patterns can make it harder to see the details.

(i knit about 12 pairs of socks a year. gluttons for punishment can figure out how to see all of the images if they desire/99% of images are my knitting portfolio.)

Last edited by of troy; 06/07/06 06:50 PM.
#160267 06/07/06 11:11 PM
A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
What a fascinating discussion! To my eyes it's pretty clear that Henry VIII is wearing stockings in that portrait. You can see the rolled tops at the knees and he is wearing a sort of garter on the left. There are some other interesting aspects to the painting as well. You could say that Henry VIII managed to not only be born to greatness, but also to have achieved greatness and to have had it thrust upon him as well.

#160268 06/08/06 10:35 AM
E
addict
addict
E
I have quite a few books on historic dress - I'll check for what I can find on stockings/hose.

#160269 06/08/06 12:55 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
he is wearing a sort of garter Maybe he was in The Order of the Garter?

#160270 06/08/06 01:43 PM
A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
Quote:

he is wearing a sort of garter Maybe he was in The Order of the Garter?

Heh, yeah I'm a little ignorant of the Royal family's customs and their secret underwear clubs, so I had to read up on the Order of the Garter. Interesting. I wonder if the current members of the Order of the Garter ever get together for a cookout and softball (or cricket) against the Yale Skull and Bones set?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,334
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 752 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,543
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith