Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
So--did anybody else watch it? Barbaro won going away; he could just be a Triple Crown winner.

I was just musing on how much money must be spent, building up to a two-minute race. (Well, 2:01 and 2/5, this year.) There's the purchase price of the horse, of course. Feed, tack, and training for three years. They have to be run in previous races, which costs big bucks. Vet fees. Transportation fees. Stablehands. Insurance. I heard today that the entry fee for the Derby is $50,000. Custom-made silks and saddle blanket. Twenty owners did all that, this year.

And that's just the horses. The City of Louisville puts on numerous huge events. Thousands of people come from out of town for it, which is of course expensive. People buy fancy clothes to wear to it. Lots and lots of people here have Derby parties they buy supplies for. Then there's the clean-up.

It's mind-boggling when you think about it. All that, for two minutes and a second or two. Though it's worth it for the winner.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Today was the Opening Day of Yachting Season in Seattle, marked with crew races through the University cut and with a parade of decorated yachts from Lake Union to Lake Washington. It costs less and lasts longer.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
And we wowed 'em at our concert with the Fauré Requiem, the Duruflé Requiem, and Poulenc's Four Motets in a Time of Penitence.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Four Motets in a Time of Penitence.

During Eastertide!?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'm with you, Padre. Bloody heathens, the lot of them!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Yeah, well we did the Bach Christmas Oratorio, Pts V and VI in mid January. We're just a little slow on the uptake is all.

And if you want heathens, we're doing the Orff Carmina Burana next Spring.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Bach's Christmas Oratorio is properly performed until the 5th of January, after which the season changes from Christmastide to Epiphanytide. I'll need to speak with whoever is doing the scheduling there, Faldo.

T
veteran
veteran
T
The National Cornbread Festival held last weekend in South Pittsburg, Tennessee was the biggest cornbread festival ever held in the contiguous United States. (Over 15,000 people attended)

Like the Derby the festival is becoming too commercial.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

And if you want heathens, we're doing the Orff Carmina Burana next Spring.

looking for a Swan?

love Poulenc. we're doing Un Soir de Niege, and have done the four Christmas Motets. (at Christmas, Padre...)

formerly known as etaoin...
A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
Getting back to the Derby, I enjoyed it and thought Barbaro ran a terrific race. But something bugs me about the Derby: I noticed that some of the trainers, Bob Baffert for example, had more than one horse in the race. Yet the jockeys were only allowed to each have one horse in the race. Why do they discriminate against the jockeys thusly?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,345
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 718 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,547
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith