Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The first instance of this bumping was way back when in the British Museum when Engels was writing there. These dinks would come in and "bump" the books to keep them on the reserve shelf where they were unavailable.

Finally, he had had enough and caned one of them. The arresting bobby reported the crime:

Engels hurt bumper dink.

SCORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TEd
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Personally I am not bothered in the least by bumping per se. I could see if it got out of hand or was done invisibly per Myridon's comment it could be a little irritating, but it is so rare around here (except on rare occasions) that I find it totally unobjectionable.

A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
Wow you guys really get worked up over this stuff. Honestly I don't know if it is worth it to reply to all this, but here goes.

First, a recap:

(1) Bingley posted a link to http://www.librarything.com/ in the Information and Announcement forum.

(2) Kelly123 and inselpeter posted brief replies praising the post, one of which simply read "Thumbs up!" If one were so inclinced (and I am not), one could complain that these were essentially pointless replies.

(3) I glanced at the link and wished to come back to it later so I "bumped" it for future reference. (i.e. so that it would appear as a watched topic, not so it would go to the top of the forum.)

(4) inselpeter expressed curiosity at the term "bump."

(5) consuelo pasted a long wikipedia description of "bump" with which I disagree on several points, both generally and specifically as to how it applied to my previous post.

(6) I briefly explained as much.

(7) consuelo very helpfully showed me how I can achieve the same effect of marking a thread that I wish to follow. (Thanks consuelo.)

(8) Myridon compared me to a vandal and opined that I was "changing the shared public world purely to suit [my] own purposes" and informed me/us that I had committed a gravely irritative act as far as Myridon was concerned, second only to insidious invisible edits by OPs intending to bring their thread to the top.

(9) etaoin expressed a slightly more gentle disapproval, one tempered by an expression of love which, I presume, is the kind of love a man has for Chicago, or a smelly old shoe, rather than romantic love. etaoin implied that he had attributed to me one of at least two possible motives, the nobler of which was subsequently ruled out by my "confession." And, he implied that there are some appropriate uses of bump, but he did not elaborate. The world awaits with baited breath the debut of his critical theory on bumping.

(10) TEd Remington meted out some truly terrible punishment.

(11) Faldage expressed a combination of tolerance and ambivalence towards bumping.

My goodness what an uproar! Had I known the misery that I was about to cause, and the public censure that would ensue from members of this board who insist on only the most informative, well-thought-out and reasoned replies I would not have dared to even turn open the lid to my laptop, let alone type an entry.

Now to address some of the points above:

(5): I am not the OP so I have no vested interest in the thread, nor in the link Bingley provided. Nor am I concerned with increasing my postcount. Were I the proprietor of http://www.librarything.com/ it would be inappropriate of me to drum up interest in the web page.

(7): Again thanks. This tip shall save me time and Myridon spikes in blood pressure and it will probably bring about peace in the Middle East.

(8): It is indeed a wicked, wicked world and there is much suffering and injustice everywhere. Thank heavens there are people like you who not only are stalwart in their defense of the helpless, the weak and the ignorant but also set an example by maintaining a calm, rational perspective on events.

(9): Number nine, number nine

(10) That was another fine pun, TEd and I look forward to reading more of them in the future.

Last edited by Alex Williams; 05/09/06 02:55 AM.
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
And, of course, it is about the public world that we change it to suit our own purposes.

Last edited by inselpeter; 05/10/06 01:30 AM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
heh.

worked up? hardly.

Quote:

bumping is used to keep threads deemed important from falling off a front page.

I stroke with a feather, and get hit with a brick.

Chicago? more like Philadelphia.

formerly known as etaoin...
#159386 05/09/06 11:56 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

[/calm logic]

#159387 05/09/06 04:22 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
... one tempered by an expression of love which, I presume, is the kind of love a man has for Chicago, or a smelly old shoe,...

It depends upon what part of Chicago yer tawkin about.

#159388 05/11/06 09:47 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Wouldn't that be Shoes in your case, Muzak?

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,347
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (wofahulicodoc), 769 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,548
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith