Next Thread
Print Thread
A
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
A
From http://www.thecabby.co.uk/ by way NPR:

The traditional accent of East London, known as Cockney, is disappearing because of population shifts, according to researchers.

A study by the British Broadcasting Corp. found that young people in the East End of the city speak in a dialect combining elements of Bangladeshi and Cockney, reflecting the changing make-up of the area.

This is very exciting for linguists, the language of London is changing,'' said Sue Fox, a research fellow at Queen Mary College, University of London, who carried out the study.

In East London ''the majority of young people of school age are of Bangladeshi origin and this has had tremendous impact on the dialect spoken in the area,'' Fox said in a press release.

Researchers carried out a nine-month study of young people at a youth club in the Tower Hamlets borough. They found the size of the area's Bangladeshi community had direct influence on the local dialect.

Words such as 'nang,' meaning good, and 'creps,' meaning trainers, have been adopted by white children with Bangladeshi friends, the researchers said.

The accent is not disappearing altogether. Laura Wright, a senior lecturer in English at the University of Cambridge, said Cockney was moving to towns outside London.

BTW any other NYT Sunday crossword fans get a chuckle this week over the clue "Cockney residence" (or something like that), the answer being "ome"?

B
old hand
old hand
B
Yeah, I've certainly been surprised by accents down in Brick Lane and along Mile End when in London in the last years. Not least from a French-born friend of mine who has really taken on the accent since living in Hackney and various surrounding areas of East London. Re. 'nang', it reminds me of young London artists like Dizzee Rascal and also M.I.A. of Sri Lanken heritage. The latter had a big hit start of last year with 'Galang'; seems there are conflicting reports as to where this word may come from. It now means something like 'hot shit'. The accent certainly has a confident cowboy swagger to it (see fashion references too) to match the sparse rhythms of the London grime and dancehall scenes. An excerpt:

London Calling
Speak the Slang now
Boys say Wha-Gwan
Girls say Wha-What

Slam Galang galang galang
Shotgun get you down
Get down get down get down
Ge-d Ge-d Ge-d Down G-down G-down
Too late you down D-down D-down D-down
Ta na ta na ta na Ta na ta na ta

Blaze a blaze Galang a lang a lang lang
Purple Haze Galang a lang a lang lang
Blaze a blaze Galang a lang a lang lang
Purple Haze Galang a lang a lang lang

B
old hand
old hand
B
Ah, look what I just found:

All raait!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Thanks, by--holy cow, if I went to London I don't think I'd understand a thing these kids said; even reading, I'm not sure what it said!
I did get a smile last week, though: I'd pulled up to a drive-through window, and these two kids were working it. I'm not sure why--maybe the girl asked him a question--but I heard the boy say, "For shizzle". I think it was AnnaS. who posted about 'shizzle mah mizzle'; anyway, thanks to this place I knew what he'd said, so when they gave me my order and asked if it was ok, I, very obviously a matronly, salt-and-pepper haired white lady, said, "For shizzle". They both just fell out!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
rock on, mama!!

formerly known as etaoin...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
From Crispy's article:

Quote:

Kerswill’s team first identified the dialect at an inner-city college in Hackney, east London, during a three-year research programme into teenage English. The £275,000 study, funded by the Economic and Social Research Council, involved analysing the conversation of 32 teenagers aged 16 to 18. Half were from white British backgrounds and half from immigrant families.

Boy, oh boy, someone's got his snout in the funding trough here ... that's £8,500 per kid.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,334
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 752 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,543
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith