Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Don't rely on us French folks to elucidate either, we also say quinze jours (15 days) for two weeks - it's very odd. Usually, it’s when people are talking about going on vacation. People work all day on the Friday, so it doesn’t make sense to count that day.

Mind you, we also call a quarter (a 25-cent coin) a “trente-sous” which means thirty cents, so I’ll just walk away in embarrassment now.

=======================================

TEd, does the bible say whether Jesus died in the morning? Maybe that’s why they say it is three days. If he died at night, then I’d definitely say two days later, not three.

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Quote:

Quote:

Could have been worse. Don't the French call the same period a "huitaine," which ("huit" meaning "eight") sounds even longer?

When we refer to a two-week period in Spanish, we say "fifteen days".

Yes, and the equivalent in French is "une quinzaine," with quinze meaning fifteen. The eight days or fifteen days refers to the period from Sunday to Sunday, [for example]; both the zeroth and the final day get counted, is my understanding.

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Ooops, Wofa, we posted at the same time.

I don't understand your explanation of the quinzaine de jours (maybe I've not had enough coffee yet )

I understand that counting from the first Sunday to the last Sunday gives fifteen days, but why would we arbitrarily eliminate the Saturday. That explanation seems a good example of begging the question.

And if we count the actual number of days we are not at work, it is sixteen.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
How is se'en half of fort, anyway?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

How is se'en half of fort, anyway?

it's not; se'n nights is half of fo'rt' nights.

-ron 'vious

#158982 04/27/06 06:17 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
And the equivalent in Port., FWIW, is quinzena. It's often used to refer to the first or second half of the month.

#158983 04/27/06 10:25 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
> I understand that counting from the first Sunday to the last Sunday gives fifteen days, but why would we arbitrarily eliminate the Saturday. That explanation seems a good example of begging the question.
And if we count the actual number of days we are not at work, it is sixteen.

But work periods as short as 5 days are a modern and arbitrary superimposition compared to the age of this language. '15 days' surely, as Alex describes, just takes any given day and takes until its third recurrence. It does seem a little odd to count the ground on which you're standing, but then we all had the benefit of modern maths instructione, two!

B
Bingley Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B
Quote:

TEd, does the bible say whether Jesus died in the morning? Maybe that’s why they say it is three days. If he died at night, then I’d definitely say two days later, not three.

According to the Synoptic Gospels (Matthew, Mark, and Luke), Jesus died at around 3 pm. John doesn't give a specific time, but it was before sunset, since they broke the thieves' legs to finish them off before sunset, which was the start of the sabbath. They didn't need to break Jesus' legs because he was already dead.

Bingley
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It was even less than two days, as we count, since He was already risen bright and early in the morning, but they counted days differently back in those days. E.g., the Ides of April was on what we would call the 13th, but our 11th April was ante diem tertium idus Aprilis, the third day before the Ides of April.

#158986 04/28/06 12:35 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:

Quote:

According to the Synoptic Gospels (Matthew, Mark, and Luke), Jesus died at around 3 pm. John doesn't give a specific time, but it was before sunset, since they broke the thieves' legs to finish them off before sunset, which was the start of the sabbath. They didn't need to break Jesus' legs because he was already dead.

In Atlanta and other places where I've either sung a Passion or heard one, the conventional story is Jesus died at 1:10 pm. Whence this folk wisdom? Even given the time-zone difference, that's not enough time?!

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,344
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 782 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,546
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith